Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1300 front axles, wtf...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    $1300 front axles, wtf...

    Why are new front axles $1300 a piece. I don't understand, can someone please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Mlarsen; 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM.

    #2
    Because it isn't worth BMW making parts for the iX in enough bulk to bring costs down. What little they do have left is largely NOS, with exorbitant prices to match.

    There were less iX's built than M3's (at least for the US), so that should tell you something.
    1991 318iS
    1992 911
    2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

    Gone:
    1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
    1990 325ix 5-Spd

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ChaseN View Post
      There were less iX's built than M3's (at least for the US), so that should tell you something.
      Funny you say that but I see more iX's than traditional E30's these days. Local kid just bought 2 last week running and driving for a grand, and I just say a new another not more than ten minutes ago head down the road that was a 89 Alpine weiss that was lowered.

      Then again I live in the North East where it snows.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        Then again I live in the North East where it snows.
        There it is...when I lived in VA, I never saw a 325iX in probably 5+ years. Here in PA, I see them *fairly* often (every 1-2 months or so).

        Plus, I'd wager to bet iX's got taken a *bit* better care of over the years, as they typically carry a premium in price.
        Last edited by ChaseN; 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM.
        1991 318iS
        1992 911
        2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

        Gone:
        1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
        1990 325ix 5-Spd

        Comment


          #5
          Makes sense I suppose. That still leaves the question what do I do when when one my CV joints wears out

          Comment


            #6
            I think you can rebuild them.

            Comment


              #7
              I have spent thousands replacing every thing on my IX, at this point in owning it $1300 to keep it running aint shit.

              when i got this car i did not even know how to do oil changes. Now i feel like a straight mechanic
              Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next

              325ix

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                I think you can rebuild them.
                I think thats route I'm going. I'm just not sure where source parts for it yet.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mauiwowi View Post
                  I have spent thousands replacing every thing on my IX, at this point in owning it $1300 to keep it running aint shit.

                  when i got this car i did not even know how to do oil changes. Now i feel like a straight mechanic
                  What are you talking about, I think we can all agree that $1300 for an axle is absurd. There is no way anybody would be alright with spending that kind of money for an axle, When there usually at most a couple hundred.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
                    What are you talking about, I think we can all agree that $1300 for an axle is absurd. There is no way anybody would be alright with spending that kind of money for an axle, When there usually at most a couple hundred.
                    I think he is getting at the fact that ix's aren't cheap to maintain and at this point for him $1300 is chicken feed after how much he has spent.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      when bmw decides it isn't worth making a certain part anymore, they have a habit of steadily increasing the price to the point where no one wants to buy it. other examples are mtech 2 body panels and dashboards. if you feel like shitting your pants, just price those items.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

                      88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

                      Comment


                        #12
                        the prices on some of the low volume/specialty parts are a little sporadic.

                        I think it basically comes down to demand and availability. once in a while they're merely $500 - probably right after they've just had a bunch produced. once the supply gets low, the price goes up so they don't run out.

                        Basically think about it this way - yeah, it's $1300, but if you *had* to buy one, you could. If this were a ford or a chevy model of similar age and low-production (5000 US, 25000 worldwide), you wouldn't be able to buy one at *any* price. it's BMW's way of making sure there is at least *some* supply available.

                        and anyway just have them rebuilt or buy used. Rebuilding is about 10x cheaper, as long as you don't let them get so bad that you grenade a CV joint they'll last nearly forever.
                        Build thread

                        Bimmerlabs

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          when bmw decides it isn't worth making a certain part anymore, they have a habit of steadily increasing the price to the point where no one wants to buy it. other examples are mtech 2 body panels and dashboards. if you feel like shitting your pants, just price those items.
                          Yep. They still have that stuff if you want it. They're just making sure that somebody with enough money that really wants a part, can still get it. And who knows, maybe the extra profits go to additional production when they run out, if it's justified. The E30 will probably be added to mobile tradition soon too.

                          also, prices on many E30 parts that aren't just regular maintenance stuff definitely went up after the E30 was added to the "archive" section, and not just odd 325ix parts either.
                          Build thread

                          Bimmerlabs

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Get the hook up on parts, when I say hook up I mean pay cost instead of list price.

                            This is key.
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                              Get the hook up on parts, when I say hook up I mean pay cost instead of list price.

                              This is key.
                              I work at a shop, my parts supplier (worldpac) doesn't even have them. The only other place is the stealership and it's still a shit load of money at cost. Does any one know of a place for replacement cv parts?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X