Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post

Once I get everything situated - I will post a follow up on the cover grind..

5 years later..

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7197449

Name:	Larger Guibo.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7197450
      Last edited by 95BMWIC; 07-24-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

looks great!

I kind of wish I had this instead of a longer driveshaft spline, it would be way easier to disassemble later..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post
          5 years later..

How thick it this section? I have a spare cover laying around, waiting to mill this down at my work.
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            How thick it this section? I have a spare cover laying around, waiting to mill this down at my work.

Its not very thick..(guessing 5-6mm) I used a grinder and if I remember correctly, had it ground down in less than 15 minutes..

Name:	100_5539.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7197454

Name:	100_5541.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	7197455

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              looks great!

I kind of wish I had this instead of a longer driveshaft spline, it would be way easier to disassemble later..

I appreciate your help on it.. It works great and luckily I found that I had a good working VC - without a major rebuild. Moving the front driveshaft another 1/2 inch (or so) deeper in made it function-able.

But now it sits... :(

Son lost control on I-80 during a winter snow and slammed rear into guard fence...

Name:	uh oh.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	7197456

Comment

I just did this mod to my iX Touring, only need to get some longer bolts.

I first milled the housing down to I think 5mm. The aluminium started vibrating so I was getting very close on getting a hole in the cover... I should measure the thickness before I bolt it up for good so people have a reference on how much they should mill/grind off.
                However, you also need to mill down the flange of the brace itself I later found out. This is so you can slide the shaft far enough into the transfercase to get the thicker guibo and X5 flange between the diff and shaft itself.

This is what I did after work hours, shaft slides far enough so I'm able to install the guibo and centering flange. :up:
                1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Its just a dust cover. As long at it covers the flywheel opening, you're good.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                  X