325ix steering rack reseal !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix steering rack reseal !!!!

ok so i ordered and received the rack reseal kit from BMW . it came from germany . i also got the pump reseal kit ZF. so im curious has anyone out there ever done a rack reseal on an IX and if so is there anything to fear? it makes sense cause its only leaking from the left side seal. i have experience in resealing porsche racks but i do know the 325IX rack is much different than a regular e30 coupe. any repair instructions ever produced >?

Help

Comment

Not sure, but im in for the answer. I cant see a rebuild being much different than a regular e30 honestly.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think somebody on E30tech had tried it. but I don't remember who.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well I did it . It's not that difficulty . Only problem is the main sleeve was worn
          So from now on it your iX rack leaks you need a new one reman. ")

Comment

any details? I've got an extra rack I wouldn't mind giving it a shot on. I bought it as a core.

I always figured the people doing home-rebuilds were really just putting in new seals, and surely there are wear parts they aren't replacing.

did you use a standard E30 seal kit? how does the rack come apart?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the rack is three piece and is aluminum and steel sleeve/ the seals i replace but the main sleeve can wear and cause the real issue . basically its an over engineered rack for the times. stronger though of course . i got one through rack doctor and installed it. so far so good . no leaks and smooth operation.

Comment

I think that's the issue with my rack, it seems to have a tiny amount of play. Its just too cold out to swap subframe/rack.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                X