No announcement yet.

New set has arrived! Front shaft uppgrade *Finland-Fix*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The X5 centering pin is longer than the iX pin, which lets you use the thicker x5 guibo, which engages the splines deeper into the transfercase without losing the functionality of the centering pin.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by dinan3 View Post
      For an automatic the fluid fill tube wraps around and under the driveshaft...
      The stock driveshaft still comes right out.

Comment

My dad bought one of Jute91's driveshaft repair fittings and had a local machinist press and weld a BMW 4 bolt flange onto it.

FIRST, setting up the driveshaft this way allows a repaired E30 driveshaft to be installed and removed WITHOUT dropping the transfer case or the diff.

HOWEVER, this flange is in slightly the wrong place. It needs to be cut off and moved closer to the splines (and the repair fitting trimmed) in order to clear the oil pan on the 4HP22. ALSO, the flange does not clear the transmission tunnel, which needs to be "persuaded" a bit.

Here's the repair fitting with female flange and modded driveshaft with male flange:

Here's the assembly with a naked T-case sprocket:

The flange needs to be reworked to move to the right in this photo in order to clear the auto trans oil pan.

Comment

I received my shaft upgrade a while ago (it looks great btw) and I have a spare drive shaft that I will use as a doner. My only issue is what I should tell the machine shop that is welding it together. Do I just tell them to line up the O-ring slots, Cut the drive shaft where the new shaft has the step up, insert the shaft upgrade, align and weld?

ALSO is installation any more difficult due to the increased length of the shaft?

Thanks!

Comment

you have to drop the transfercase to install the shaft.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just did mine...

Technically you don't have to "drop" the t-case. I was able to slide mine back and had plenty of room.

I did, however, have to turn the new stub down to fit into the hollow shaft. It was basically the same diameter as the OD of the shaft when delivered.
              Suspension tips here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
                I did, however, have to turn the new stub down to fit into the hollow shaft. It was basically the same diameter as the OD of the shaft when delivered.
                Pics? That doesn't sound right.

Comment

Sadly, I didn't take pics.

Fortunately, I now work in the machining industry, and the fix was simple. A friend of mine did his three weeks ago and had the same issue.

Mine is an automatic. Is it possible the manual version is different?
                  Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

I just pressed mine in. I think it was intended to be size on size so you didn't have to worry about keeping the head aligned while welding it to the shaft.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                    Rear Diff Rebuild
                    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
                    Transfer Case Rebuild
                    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Not the best pic, but you can see the OD of the shaft is very similar to the OD of the stub.
                      Attached Files
                      Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've got one feedback about the different sized shaft.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

The one I've made has 30mm inner diameter and the different one has around 27mm... dont know why?? someone guessed that there would be early and late shafts but I think it would be the automatic..? does the automatic transmission have torque converter? IF it does, it will need stronger shaft because it makes more torque.. this is what I think..
                        Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
                        https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Yes, automatic has torque converter
                          https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                          https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Great theory, but mine's an auto...so is my buddy's.
                            Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

yeah had to have jute's insert shaved down to fit into my donor shaft (not sure if the donor one was from an auto or manual). Didn't know they were different.
                              www.instagram.com/snwmble
                              #snwmble

Current:
                              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by jute91 View Post
                                Yeah I've got one feedback about the different sized shaft.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

The one I've made has 30mm inner diameter and the different one has around 27mm... dont know why?? someone guessed that there would be early and late shafts but I think it would be the automatic..? does the automatic transmission have torque converter? IF it does, it will need stronger shaft because it makes more torque.. this is what I think..
                                it's the same shaft between auto/manual. my car was originally an automatic. I have heard there are two sizes but I'm pretty sure that's early/late, and they are interchangeable anyway. I've had like 5 different shafts and I've never seen the different one.

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                                yeah had to have jute's insert shaved down to fit into my donor shaft (not sure if the donor one was from an auto or manual). Didn't know they were different.
                                they aren't, but it's not clear exactly what models came with the thicker shaft. it could just be the manufacturer changed at some point or they used a different material that didn't need as much wall thickness.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X