Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    I think you will have to find more committed buyers to spread out the costs. Some will pay $400, but the problem you'll have is that's about what an original set goes for, so paying that much for a replica will be hard to swallow. You will likely have to get pre-payments or some sort of deposit so you don't take it on the chin.

I understand that also includes brackets that will be new, but it will be a tough sell.
    Though we are committed to buy them, I have not seen any development. In addition we have no guarantee of quality.
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

I'm definitely out at $400, I paid $360 for front and rears mud flaps and brackets for my dads OEM ix mud flaps.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Yeah that's a tough sell. I may bitch and moan but pay for a single set for $300. $270 or so would probably fly
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

$400/pr.? Count me out.

Comment

I hate to say this since I spend a lot on my IX but $400 for mud flaps is not for me.

Anyone checked these out online?

There's got to be better option in terms of price. I'm all for this but I don't see the value at that price.

Apologies for my bluntness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Huge difference on price. Lol, if anyone purchased these and were content, let us know all about it.

Comment

wonder if these will fit onto a mtech 2 body?
                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

would NOT including the brackets, lower the price point on the pair?

Reason I'm asking (not for myself since I don't like flaps), but I know the regular non-iX flaps are the same in the rear....so I'm thinking whomever wants to run iX mudflaps, can prob just purchase an entire non-iX mudflap kit from lets say BavAuto....and use the front brackets from that (assuming they would work on an iX)
                  www.instagram.com/snwmble
                  #snwmble

Current:
                  '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                  '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                  '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                  '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                  '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                  '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                  '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                  '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

i am also not a player at the 400.00 price point. not anywhere close to that. remember above when i said i would be in for a set if the price wasn't stupid? well........

i think the number needs to be a good deal south of 200.00 if you expect to fulfill more than a very small handfull of orders.

if you expect to sell a lot of them, i think 120.00/pr or less is somewhat reasonable. i wonder if there is a flexible 3d printer material these could be made from. if so, the production cost could be well under 40/set.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I think $200 max these would sell. Remember I believe the non-ix OEM mudflaps (not sure if they are still avail) were in the $120-150ish range, w/ the rears being $100.

So given the rarity of the iX, a max price of $200/pair I think is reasonable...assuming the quality is OEM-like.
                      www.instagram.com/snwmble
                      #snwmble

Current:
                      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Guys... I caved and bought rally armor.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry gang, It just doesn't really make sense for me without a higher volume or high price.

Ill just let you guys know the numbers so you can see where I am coming from. Its going to cost about $3800 for the two urethane molds, and then cost me $225 for each set. I just need to break even, or even close since I would get a set, for me to justify the work. With pretty expensive parts due to material costs and labor associated, I would barely have a markup based on what people are willing to pay. I am assuming volume is essentially limited to the people in this thread, so I will not even come close to recouping the tool at 15 or so sets. Unless somehow I can sell 50ish sets, it just doesn't really make sense for me. I could be wrong about volume however, but this is quite a niche part I think.
                          The Lineup in order of appearance:
                          91 535i
                          91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                          91 325is w/ S52
                          88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                          88 M3 ;D
                          91 325ix 5 speed
                          89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                          73 2002
                          1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                          1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                          1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                          1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                          Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                            Sorry gang, It just doesn't really make sense for me without a higher volume or high price.

Ill just let you guys know the numbers so you can see where I am coming from. Its going to cost about $3800 for the two urethane molds, and then cost me $225 for each set. I just need to break even, or even close since I would get a set, for me to justify the work. With pretty expensive parts due to material costs and labor associated, I would barely have a markup based on what people are willing to pay. I am assuming volume is essentially limited to the people in this thread, so I will not even come close to recouping the tool at 15 or so sets. Unless somehow I can sell 50ish sets, it just doesn't really make sense for me. I could be wrong about volume however, but this is quite a niche part I think.
                            Do you (or anyone else) have a 3d model of the mudflaps that you used to get it quoted?

Comment

We were just going to use the actual parts as masters to make the mold.
                              The Lineup in order of appearance:
                              91 535i
                              91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                              91 325is w/ S52
                              88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                              88 M3 ;D
                              91 325ix 5 speed
                              89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                              73 2002
                              1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                              1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                              1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                              1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                              Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

I think that there's a couple other options to consider...

I think you could make flaps out of a different material like fiberglass, that look and fit the exact same as the originals, but may not be as functional. They might crack or get chipped, but it would be easy to make a lot of sets.

Alternatively, and much simpler, you could take something like rally armor mud flaps and create brackets that fit and secure it, and design a template to trim the flaps around to make it look somewhat similar to the oem flaps. you could visually tell the difference but they would work.

I might personally go with the latter route and use the rally armor flaps and make some aluminum brackets, I would be interested to know what other people think, because it doesn't seem like injection molded flaps are going to be possible
                                1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                                1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Working...
                                X