Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may have been asked before but are the front & rears the same?

I ask because my es had mud flaps when I bought it. The fronts are a little tore up & three states away in my parents garage but my rears are in pretty good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by red baron View Post
      This may have been asked before but are the front & rears the same?
      No

Comment

ok, so i got flaps, i have the front brackets, they are pretty much toast, the rears i dont have, does anyone have a set of rear brackets i can either have, or borrow as a template?

Comment

The rears are universal dont bother. The fronts are whats important

Comment

lol thats fine that they are universal, but i dont have any, what am i even looking for? also need the clamps

Comment

Might as well delete this thread. It's a lost cause...
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Indeed. So many false starts. Hell I have a commercial grade 3D printer at my office. Somebody send me their front flaps and I'll get some scans done and print samples made
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

if your serious ill send mine

Comment

I am serious, but need to research the available materials to confirm they are suitable. We'd all be better off with someone making a mold, not 3D printing parts.
                    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      I am serious, but need to research the available materials to confirm they are suitable. We'd all be better off with someone making a mold, not 3D printing parts.
                      i spent a lot of time looking into this a year ago. there was no suitable 3d printer material available at that time that was flexible enough and able to handle the temperature extremes from say -30 to 120f. getting dies made for injection molding will be an expensive proposition. depending on the quality of the dies, they could cost a lot.

3d printed dies would be about 12-1500 dollars. apparently they won't last very long. machined sets would cost over 3 grand.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        i spent a lot of time looking into this a year ago. there was no suitable 3d printer material available at that time that was flexible enough and able to handle the temperature extremes from say -30 to 120f. getting dies made for injection molding will be an expensive proposition. depending on the quality of the dies, they could cost a lot.

3d printed dies would be about 12-1500 dollars. apparently they won't last very long. machined sets would cost over 3 grand.
                        I work with 3d printing stuff on a daily basis. I think the cheapest way to do it would be to get the flaps from someone, make a silicone mold with them, and cast urethane parts. You don't need to do any kind of 3d printing, and the parts that come out won't be amazing, but they'll be better than a 3d printed part that was printed using a part file someone CADed by making measurements off of the actual part.

Something like this:
                        We now offer 73-20 in a kit along with EZ Flo 60 resin to make your 1st mold that much easier. Check our webstore for more information. https://www.brickinth...

Except, I would make the top half of the mold first and then mold the bottom half of the mold so that I can control the parting line.

Cost wise, it would be very reasonable. The cost of Silicone is expensive, but not crazy. I've worked with Oomoo 30 and I've gotten good results:

And then you would use some kind of urethane which mud flaps are often made of (of course there are about 1.25 million types of urethane so they aren't all the same).

Maybe something like this?

That last one I'm the least sure about.

One of the problems with this route is that whoever makes them can probably only make 1 set a day per mold. Also, the material cost per flap is not negligible (as most things are when you mold them, but it's a bigger part). But other than that, it should be pretty easy to do, if you have a set of flaps.

Hrm, I guess I can offer my services if someone wants to send me flaps. I have a sand blaster (I'd use soda blast for the plastic), so I'd be able to get anyone's set pretty clean, and I am kind of between jobs right now. Anyone looking for a medical device mechanical engineer?

Also, how complicated is the hardware? From the photos online, it looks like we'd be able to make do with just a laser cut sheet metal and nuts/screws.
                        Last edited by ghatid; 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I am in the process of rebuilding the brackets for the front, they are the same as the regular ones but they have a spacer, once i finish the bracket i can show you pictures, the brackets for the rears can be had but as far as i know, you can only get them with the rear flaps as a set. pm me if you have any other questions

Comment

So... is this dead?

Also who has scans of the front mudflaps? Otherwise I have to design them from scratch, and I'm lazy.
                            [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
                              So... is this dead?

Also who has scans of the front mudflaps? Otherwise I have to design them from scratch, and I'm lazy.
                              I think so, but I still think the easiest way would be to make a mold out of someone's relatively decent shaped flaps.

Designing them from scratch would be pretty neat. You could make them however you'd like and then sign your name on the back:).

Comment

just saying i would pay a good amount for a nice set of these
                                1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Working...
                                X