No announcement yet.

Steering Rack swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah with that boat anchor up front I dont think I'd want it without P/S. I agree weird that they cant design it to work with P/S....
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

I'd be in 100% if it had power steering. Too bad it can't be done.
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Would be interesting to know why the power steering can't be used??
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          The ix steering sucks on 195 wide tires without power steering. Definitely a deal killer.
          Originally posted by stonea View Post
          Converting to manual would be a deal breaker for me. I live in the city and I ran without power steering on my ix for a while and its not something I would ever do again. I went from daily driving it to letting it sit in my parking spot for 3 months until I fixed it.

Their E30 M3 kit attaches to the bottom of any E30 steering column.

Also, for the record, manual steering is much better than disconnected power steering.

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
          Would be interesting to know why the power steering can't be used??
          Can't grind a fine enough surface finish on the rack? I dunno why that would hold up a company like Quaife, though.
          Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 11-07-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

This is probably going to sound stupid to the gurus but why can't we do what adam.nonis did to fit his rack? He made a custom cross member to fit the rack.

This is beyond me. But maybe we could throw the idea his way and when he is done with his project he could try making something. It might be a while but most of us have been waiting so long already so what is a little more waiting?

I am sure if he can make something that will work then he will build a similar setup. And then he could build more. And we could pay a forum member rather than some out side company.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              This is probably going to sound stupid to the gurus but why can't we do what adam.nonis did to fit his rack? He made a custom cross member to fit the rack.

This is beyond me. But maybe we could throw the idea his way and when he is done with his project he could try making something. It might be a while but most of us have been waiting so long already so what is a little more waiting?

I am sure if he can make something that will work then he will build a similar setup. And then he could build more. And we could pay a forum member rather than some out side company.
              Of course you could. But that's beside the point. I don't have time or energy to build a whole subframe, as I'm guessing many others do not - feel free to ask Adam, but I'm guessing he has a lot of projects already. Plus it would probably have to be steel, and add even more weight to the front of the car.

As far as why Quaife will not do PS, well I never really looked into it before - but basically a non-power rack has a solid input shaft. A PS rack has an input shaft with a torsion bar and a rotary of valve that controls the flow of fluid through the rack (left or right). When you turn the wheel the torsion bar twists slightly allowing the flow to move one way or another.

Which makes me think, a non-PS rack with the PS disconnected is definitely not the same at all, in terms of feel or effort, as a rack made without PS in the first place (solid input shaft).

There are pics in this thread which are helpful to see why:

I bet E30s have really 'thin' torsion bars - it gives them easy steering, but the feel is poor compared to 'newer' BMWs (like the 330i ZHP and RWD E90's). It's not just the slow ratio that is annoying.

People who "convert" a PS rack to non-PS by capping off the lines are missing this difference. The torsion bar is still twisting with input making the steering mushier than it needs to be.

There are still options - possibly fitting the rack/pinion from another model inside the ix housing (except the input shaft is likely to not fit). Fitting a RWD rack either by moving the mount tabs to the opposite side or making some sort of bracket/modified subframe.

Actually thinking about it a whole new subframe doesn't really make sense anyway, because the only problem with a non-ix rack fitting (aside from perhaps less oil pan clearance which can't be helped) is that the mount tabs on the rack are on the wrong side, it's not that the racks do not fit on the subframe.

To me the simplest solution is the most appealing - the Quaife rack would fit like stock without messing with anything else. But I understand not wanting to spend money on something when nobody knows what it will be like.
              Last edited by nando; 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                https://epasperformance.com/

Their E30 M3 kit attaches to the bottom of any E30 steering column.

Also, for the record, manual steering is much better than disconnected power steering.

Can't grind a fine enough surface finish on the rack? I dunno why that would hold up a company like Quaife, though.
                For anyone who hasn't looked, that's an ELECTRIC power steering kit that attaches to the steering column inside the firewall. That would be a perfect combo to use with a faster manual steering rack.

Comment

Ok. You guys have changed my mind. Count me in! Totally worth a shot.
                  My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

I need to get one of the rusted bolts off this rack and then I will look into mailing it to them. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's the way to go. I never thought too much about why a non-powered rack would be different than a powered one, but now I do not think that running an ix rack without PS (and I know it sucks, I agree with you guys on that lol) is the same as what this would give you.

Sending the rack to them will only give me an idea of the total cost though. Hopefully under $250 each, which is really pretty cheap. Then we need to find seal kits but I don't think that should be so hard - maybe Quaife can assist.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I need to get one of the rusted bolts off this rack and then I will look into mailing it to them. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's the way to go. I never thought too much about why a non-powered rack would be different than a powered one, but now I do not think that running an ix rack without PS (and I know it sucks, I agree with you guys on that lol) is the same as what this would give you.

Sending the rack to them will only give me an idea of the total cost though. Hopefully under $250 each, which is really pretty cheap. Then we need to find seal kits but I don't think that should be so hard - maybe Quaife can assist.
                      If you just take the belt off the pump, then you're using arm power to push hydraulic fluid through the system as you steer. That sucks.

If the PS rack is empty, you still have seal drag on the hydraulic cylinder, which doesn't suck as much.

A true conversion to manual steering would completely disassemble the rack and leave out the hydraulic seals when reassembling.

Since that's what we'd have to do to install the Quaife rack, it would be easy.

Quaife may not want to get into trying to tune the spool valve cracking torque to everyone's whims and desires.

Comment

you would still have the torsion bar in the input shaft which twists as you steer - that also sucks. :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hello everyone. I spoke to EPAS and they are more than excited to work with us. We briefly discussed doing a custom kit that would go on the column but then they said we may be able to do a fully custom manual rack with electric power assist. I will update everyone when I speak to them again next week. Please let me know if either of these options seems interesting.

Comment

Interested to see where this goes, not sure if I'd like manual steering but I think my ps pump is on it's way out soooo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

The ones I checked with here in Sweden didn't mention anything about removing the power steering, but it was pretty expensive ��
                              E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                              E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                you would still have the torsion bar in the input shaft which twists as you steer - that also sucks. :)
                                That doesn't actually reduce any force feedback.

I @$$ume that it's designed to transmit steering torque unassisted for long periods of time. I've never heard of one break.

Comment

Working...
                                X