Speed sensor plug replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed sensor plug replacement

I just got an'89 325ix with some known issues. Primarily the speedo, odometer, and fuel consumption gauge don't work and the fuel gauge bounces. I've read all the forums about the 7mm nut behind the cluster for the fuel gauge. I pulled the cluster to confirm good gears in the odometer... All look good. And I re-flowed (or is that flew) the speedo board since that is a known issue. Put it all back together and still no work.

It has a new speed sensor in the rear diff from the PO. I suspect the connector is bad (as per more forum reading). I found one today on a junk yard car but it discenigrated in my hand when trying to remove it. The one on my car is plugged in to the speed sensor, but the external housing of the plug is just gone.

Anyone know if you can buy a replacement plug and splice it in. I haven't been able to find one online anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

I think the later style twin pin connector is the same as some of the other connectors on the car. Look at the alarm hood sensor connector forward of the fusebox, foglight and single filament turn signal connectors to get an idea of what I mean.

Some of these are notched in different corners, but should be easy enough to modify.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Great idea. I didn't think of that. I'll start digging around and see if I can find a match that I can modify.

Comment

the connector comes apart - what you do is cut the connector off (if the wires aren't completely broken). open it up and remove the pins, then replace them with new pins from BMW, and re-use the housing.

the pins come with a pigtail harness that you can splice into the original wires. it doesn't matter which side you plug it into, since it's basically a switch.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For some reason, my plastic connector disintegrated in my hand leaving just the two 90ยบ pin connectors. Which is how it remains with new wiring and female pins
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The housing on my fell apart as well and all I have left is the 90 degree pins. I was hoping to find a new housing but maybe I don't need it...

I think I need to call the dealer and see if they have a the new pig tail pins that Nando mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X