This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    If you sent them to langley, bc i could pick the up from my inlaws house.
    Assuming this was to me, I'll try to look for them today. I think they're buried in my shed in one of the bins out there.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      I may have a spare set(if I can find them,) the passenger side is worthless except for mock up or scrap value.

Shipping from here may be a lot though (~$50)
      Can you get a shipping quote to US ZIP 20164?

EDIT:
      I may have a spare set(if I can find them,) the passenger side is worthless except for mock up or scrap value.

Shipping from here may be a lot though (~$50)
      If you sent them to langley, bc i could pick the up from my inlaws house.
      Assuming this was to me, I'll try to look for them today. I think they're buried in my shed in one of the bins out there.
      If community's willing to daisy-chain ship, that would be great.

Another thing is that I don't have an M20 block to mock up... Do you have one around, Chris?

I'll post a pic of the way I measure the E34 M50 mount arms (ordered!) and maybe someone can duplicate that setup with the E30 AWD M20 mount arms.
      Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 05-05-2014, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
        yes NAPA get them from Altrom, purchased a set thru our shop last year and redid my arm's (Lemforders),can't remember the price
        got the outers from Worldpac

http://www.altrom.com/cgi-bin/altapp...8904:N&CD=8904
        Thanks! Maybe this should go in a sticky...

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
          Bad pics but i measured this way the M20 had theese measurments. (and this is how i mounted the M50 too)

34,3cm

9,9cm
          Thanks!
          That isn't really what I meant, but still useful. Maybe one of us could share these in the V8 swap forum, as I've NEVER seen good driveline alignment numbers there, but they always talk about needing subframe spacers for driveline alignment.

Comment

Also, Nisse, what T-case mount are you using? Stock E30? Stock E34?

Comment

FWIW the E34 bushing is NLA. :(
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm sure Nisse will just use a titanium spherical bearing with DLC coating.

Comment

Crawled under my iX and took these measurements:

CAB c-c: 25 1/8"
                  Ball joint c-c: 27 3/4"
                  Ball joint to CAB longitudinal c-c: 16"

The pivot axes are not parallel. Interesting. I wonder if that's done for ride comfort, some odd aspect of suspension geometry, or just for packaging.
                  Moving the ball joints without creating much bump steer will take a little more thought, but not a lot. As the rack and ball joints move forward, the ball joints will need to move inboard slightly (even enough to worry about?) to keep the same relationship between the pivot axes and inner tie rod ends.

Edit: Will also need to measure heights of CAB's and ball joints when the car's back on the ground.
                  Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                    Also, Nisse, what T-case mount are you using? Stock E30? Stock E34?
                    Just a simple custom delrin bushing with a home made T-case mount :)
                    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I'll finally have my new Getrag 260 for mockup in the next couple months. I didn't see anything with the diff that would stop me from moving it back - it would basically be in the same position as the E30 diff - but I didn't see how the CV shaft would hit the subframe either. :p
                      The E34 diff moves the axle forward... but isn't it longer in the pinion than the E30 diff?

Meaning that the drive flange on the front end of the driveshaft stays in about the same place vs. the E30?

If you move that back, won't it interfere with the bellhousing or the bellhousing mounting flange on the oil pan?

Comment

I don't think so, but I need to put it on the pan and have a look. I think the diff and flange is closer to the front relative to the E30.

6 more weeks of teaching and I'll have time to mock things up again.. lol
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Distance between guibo and bellhousing/oil pan is ~3.5cm. So after the drive shaft flange and bolts maybe 2-2.5cm?

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yeah, it will be close. Thats about 1"?
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, it will be close. Thats about 1"?
                              Yes, probably a little less.
                              I can measure the flange, spacer/centering thing and guibo bolts.
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                                Distance between guibo and bellhousing/oil pan is ~3.5cm. So after the drive shaft flange and bolts maybe 2-2.5cm?

I would guess more like 1 cm final clearance.

Remember that you can only space the guibo on a stock iX driveline by < 1/2".

Comment

Working...
                                X