Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like he modified the firewall and pushed the engine back.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by muuris View Post
      mw044 has ATC700 T-case and if I'm not mistaken, an Arduino-based controller for that..

I did M50 swap in my '86 iX this year with all-E34 stuff. So far haven't had control for center lock but I've designed and built my own Arduino-based controller for it. It gathers ABS sensor signals and will communicate with ECU. I've measured the center diff lock breaking torque is more than 200 Nm at under pwm 50 % duty so it's quite capable. What I'm unsure of is the how will the lock wear if used on the limit instead of fully driving it on/off. Ideally I'd like to allow just a bit of rear wheel slip and hold it there, but the safe way for sure would be to set a threshold after which the lock is ramped fully on and held there until TPS goes down and then ramp it down to 0 %.

I wanted to have permanent awd and just control the lock but if I would do this now, I'd really consider x-drive tc again.. The total driveline ratio is short (by starting point was 3.64 / G260) and 6-speed manual would make the already long package even longer.

The car is still very much in progress and not nearly finished, but this thread needs a picture once in a while so here it goes:

Click image for larger version Name:	1905_johtosarjan_sukitusta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	9874396

No, it won't stay n/a but the plenum is also there to clear brake reservoir. I swapped E34 525iX booster/mc as well, and it's tight with stock manifold/tb even though I moved the booster ~2cm away from the engine.

This thread and especially Nisse helped the swap a lot :)
      I think Nisse mentioned a controller that could do fully locked or fully open on the xDrive T-cases, but didn't have capabilities beyond that.

Have you tried hitting the E34 T-Case with 12V to see what the locking torque is? I @$$ume you measured that 200NM number measured by trying to twist the front output while holding the rear?

Comment

Originally posted by muuris View Post
        mw044 has ATC700 T-case and if I'm not mistaken, an Arduino-based controller for that..

I did M50 swap in my '86 iX this year with all-E34 stuff. So far haven't had control for center lock but I've designed and built my own Arduino-based controller for it. It gathers ABS sensor signals and will communicate with ECU. I've measured the center diff lock breaking torque is more than 200 Nm at under pwm 50 % duty so it's quite capable. What I'm unsure of is the how will the lock wear if used on the limit instead of fully driving it on/off. Ideally I'd like to allow just a bit of rear wheel slip and hold it there, but the safe way for sure would be to set a threshold after which the lock is ramped fully on and held there until TPS goes down and then ramp it down to 0 %.

I wanted to have permanent awd and just control the lock but if I would do this now, I'd really consider x-drive tc again.. The total driveline ratio is short (by starting point was 3.64 / G260) and 6-speed manual would make the already long package even longer.

The car is still very much in progress and not nearly finished, but this thread needs a picture once in a while so here it goes:

Click image for larger version Name:	1905_johtosarjan_sukitusta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	9874396

No, it won't stay n/a but the plenum is also there to clear brake reservoir. I swapped E34 525iX booster/mc as well, and it's tight with stock manifold/tb even though I moved the booster ~2cm away from the engine.

This thread and especially Nisse helped the swap a lot :)
        Also, have you looked at this for transfer case control?
        https://www.full-race.com/store/niss...kyline-gt-r-1/

As long as the E34 T-case accepts a PWM input for the locking clutch, then generic center diff controllers for Subarus, Evos and Skylines will probably work.

Comment

Working...
        X