Can someone tell me what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me what this is?

The black box next to the fuse box. Labelle 0 265 005 003. Not getting any definite Info on what it's purpose and function is.

ABS accelerator sensor. The ix came with "traction control"...

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Can I relocate this somewhere inside the firewall?? I'm trying to clean up the look of my engine bay by moving or removing components around as much as I can.

Comment

iX had a special abs setup. I think it was a deceleration sensor. I bet you could move it. I'd just keep the orientation the same.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If you move it, it might not work anymore. it has to point directly forward and also be level. notice the shims underneath it. personally I'd leave it alone.

anyway, as far as what it does - it's basically just a mercury switch. when you slow down, the switch closes and the signal goes to the ABS computer, telling it that you're slowing down as expected.

now, if you're on ice, and you hit the brakes, and don't slow down - the switch remains open, which tells the ABS computer you aren't slowing down, so it goes into a "low friction" program (faster ABS pulses).

the other thing that it does is help the ABS computer determine if the wheels are locking up due to engine braking. it sends a signal to pin 50 of the DME (via pin 17 of the C101) that tells the DME to open the ICV, thus reducing engine braking. this is why the ix has two clutch switches instead of one (it won't engage if the clutch is pressed in). I'm not sure how this works on the automatic, I guess the trans slips anyway so maybe it doesn't matter as much.

I think the E38 uses the same system, only the ABS computer can also tell it to retard timing. the ix doesn't have that feature.

another difference on the ix ABS is it has 4 wheel speed sensors instead of only 3. it's still a 3 channel system, however.
          Last edited by nando; 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I did notice the dual switches by the pedal.. When swapping from auto to manual, do you have any info regarding this area nando?

Comment

Working...
            X