Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear linkage

Hi
    The gear change in my '88 325iX is a bit imprecise (well very sloppy really at least 2-3 inches of movement) so I have to put new bushes etc. in the gear linkage and wondered if it can be done with the box in the car? Also does anyone have a list of parts required or even a link to a step by step procedure?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Originally posted by bmw444 View Post
    Hi
    The gear change in my '88 325iX is a bit imprecise (well very sloppy really at least 2-3 inches of movement) so I have to put new bushes etc. in the gear linkage and wondered if it can be done with the box in the car? Also does anyone have a list of parts required or even a link to a step by step procedure?

Thanks in advance

Chris
    unless you have tiny magical elf hands, you'll want to remove the transfercase. the transmission however, can stay.

how many ix's made it down to Australia? it has to be rare! AFAIK, they never made them in RHD either. do you know any of the car's history? I think it's the first one I've heard of down there.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks
      I can wait until I have to remove the transfer for some other reason - it's not that bad yet.
      I have one325iX in Australia (early Euro car made in Nov 1985 and travelled via Japan) which I am fixing up as it was partly stripped by a previous owner but is complete mechanically and also one in New Mexico which is a 1988 US version which I only drive once a year when I visit. I've just go home from driving it about 2000 miles in 3 weeks while on holiday. I have a few other E30's as well including a 333i out of South Africa.
      Chris

Comment

jealous of that 333i for sure...
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Nando
          You're correct that no RHD iX's were built by the factory. I and a friend owned a 325iX in Australia which we rallied about 20 years ago. We did a RHD conversion and it wasn't that difficult. The main problem was mounting the RHD steering rack which required welding new mounts on the aluminium crossmember. Other than that it was just bolting in the RHD dash, mounting the steering column and pedal assembly and fitting headers that cleared the steering. I do not know of any other genuine iX's here but maybe some will now come out of the woodwork.

This iX that I am currently fixing up I can leave LHD and drive here in Australia as it is over 25 years old now.

Comment

Working...
          X