CV axle stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV axle stuck

Please I can't get my axle out and I don't know what to do....I rented a axle puller from autozone and its to big for the e30 bolt pattern
    Is that the only way to get the axle out of the hub

Any tips or tricks I took everything apart except the hub and axle are still stuck together I went the hammer method and didn't move it at all and just mushroomed the shaft
    Last edited by Dirty325ix; 05-25-2014, 08:18 PM.

you shouldn't be trying to remove the hub. You will just end up ruining the bearing or your ball joints. PB blaster and a mallet. You should have just left the nut on the end of the axle (flush with the end) so the nut would take the impact of being hit, and at the same time keeping the threads on the end of the shaft straight.
    FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
    Saab/GM tech2 programming
    My for sale thread
    1990 325iX for sale or part out
    Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
    And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

I always use a hub puller. it won't pull out the hub, you're pushing on the shaft relative to the hub anyway.

I've never once used a hammer, I'm not even sure how you managed to hit it dead center inside the hub without hitting something else! A hammer won't be effective unless it's really heavy, and you're more likely to just damage something (as you found out) and still have a stuck shaft.

you just need one with a smaller bolt pattern. the one I have is a universal style, I have no idea where you'd get one as I bought it at a random auto parts store like 12 years ago.

it's unlikely the CV shaft has been in there for 25 years without ever being removed, the CV boots would have certainly been done by now at least once or twice - what I'm saying is I doubt it's actually stuck, but the hammer you used was likely too light to move the shaft much. also, what you end up doing is just hammering the CV shaft into the diff rather than pushing it out of the hub. you can hammer on it all day but you'll probably just be beating up the shaft and your diff instead of pushing it out of the hub.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The strut was off the car when I did it...but I bought a puller that actually fit on my hub and I am still stuck. It bent both the lug nuts it was attached to and didn't move the axle one bit

I guess pb blast for a few days and then try again in a few days with some added heat from a torch

I assume this is a result from putting a few thousand miles on a broken wheel bearing

Comment

I used a Harbor Freight 8" gear puller. You have to have the inner CV joint loose so it can push the axle through.

Comment

So my passenger side front axle had never been removed and was in terrible condition. It was rusted to the hub. I rented a hub puller but it had no effect.

What I did to get it off (don't judge) was get a wide brass hammer and and 5.5lbs sledge hammer. I held the brass hammer while a friend swung the sledge hammer. After a good 15 minutes of pounding it came out. The threads were good, but due to not having CV boots for god knows how long the CV was junk.
            [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Working...
            X