Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the proper grease for the front drive shaft splines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the proper grease for the front drive shaft splines?

I'm about to installed the front drive shaft on the IX.
    So what is the right grease to get for the where the splines get installed to the transfer case?

Thanks
    Jp

bike grease

if you have a BMW motorcycle dealer local you can get a tube of the grease they use to lube the bike driveshaft splines (thats what i use). other's will pipe up about a lube that is available from Mcmaster Carr that works well also (or search as its been discussed many times before)
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

I believe this is the correct grease
      search this on google Dow Corning Molykote BR2 Plus
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check it out!

Comment

technically there is another grease that BMW recommended (by the same manufacturer), but you can only get it in a 50 gallon drum. yeah. the BR2 Plus is really similar (actually higher rated in a # of categories) and you can get a 16 oz tube for like $20 which will last you a lifetime.

I've been using it since 2006, prior to that I destroyed 3 driveshafts in 4 years. I haven't had a driveshaft failure since then.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This thread remind me I need to grease my shaft. I've had the grease for months now and keep forgetting.

Comment

Working...
            X