Picking up an 88 IX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up an 88 IX

New to this forum, and new to the IX scene.

I'll be picking up a 1988 325IX this Saturday! And the best part... Free car!

Back Story: I'm a real estate broker in VT, and have been working with a very nice 83 year old woman, trying to sell her house. She has 3 sons that I have also been working with to help navigate the transaction. They all hail from the town in NJ where I grew up, a small world indeed.

A few weeks ago, I found a set of wheels in NJ on VWVortex for my race car. I emailed one of the sons asking if he could possibly pick them up and bring them to VT on his next trip, and reminded him of my race car habit... He replied with a "yes" and said he had a car in a barn that I could have if I wanted it...

Needless to say, I was intrigued... "What cha got?" A 1988 BMW 325IX. It's been in the barn for 10+ years. It ran when it was parked, needs and exhaust, had a bad power steering fluid leak, and the e-brake was stuck. Other than that, all I know is that it's black with grey interior. He claims it's a "rust free" car from PA.

So I'm heading down to my old home town with my trailer, and will load the car up and bring it back to VT. When I get it back here my plans are to go through the car, replace all fluids, timing belt, water pump, brakes, tires, address the known issues, and see what I've got. If it's as rust free as advertised, I will do a waxoyl or similar treatment to the undercarriage to preserve the car.

I've done some reading on this fourm and a few others. I'll do the "jack test" for sure. Other than the above mentioned obvious items, any recommendations on things to address immediately?

If all goes well, I plan on leaving the car stock, getting good studded snow tires and driving it as a 2nd car, and possibly ice racing it a few times during the winter.

Back story on my VW: 1991 GTI with a VR6 Turbo swap, MKIII front subframe, MKIV front brakes, MKIII rear brakes, full FIA spec Rally cage. Raced in the New England Hillclimb Series www.hillclimb.org
    1988 325IX - Miss New Jersey
    1991 VW GTI VRT "Polar Express" Hill Climb race car - scary fast & fun
    2012 Ford F150 - DD, Tow Rig, Camper
    2006 BMW 530XI - "Grace Jones" Wife's Whip

Originally posted by Ryed View Post
    New to this forum, and new to the IX scene.

I'll be picking up a 1988 325IX this Saturday! And the best part... Free car!

Back Story: I'm a real estate broker in VT, and have been working with a very nice 83 year old woman, trying to sell her house. She has 3 sons that I have also been working with to help navigate the transaction. They all hail from the town in NJ where I grew up, a small world indeed.

A few weeks ago, I found a set of wheels in NJ on VWVortex for my race car. I emailed one of the sons asking if he could possibly pick them up and bring them to VT on his next trip, and reminded him of my race car habit... He replied with a "yes" and said he had a car in a barn that I could have if I wanted it...

Needless to say, I was intrigued... "What cha got?" A 1988 BMW 325IX. It's been in the barn for 10+ years. It ran when it was parked, needs and exhaust, had a bad power steering fluid leak, and the e-brake was stuck. Other than that, all I know is that it's black with grey interior. He claims it's a "rust free" car from PA.

So I'm heading down to my old home town with my trailer, and will load the car up and bring it back to VT. When I get it back here my plans are to go through the car, replace all fluids, timing belt, water pump, brakes, tires, address the known issues, and see what I've got. If it's as rust free as advertised, I will do a waxoyl or similar treatment to the undercarriage to preserve the car.

I've done some reading on this fourm and a few others. I'll do the "jack test" for sure. Other than the above mentioned obvious items, any recommendations on things to address immediately?

If all goes well, I plan on leaving the car stock, getting good studded snow tires and driving it as a 2nd car, and possibly ice racing it a few times during the winter.

Back story on my VW: 1991 GTI with a VR6 Turbo swap, MKIII front subframe, MKIV front brakes, MKIII rear brakes, full FIA spec Rally cage. Raced in the New England Hillclimb Series www.hillclimb.org
    That is fucking awesome. Congrats and welcome. I need to hang around with old people more often, but Californians (Bay Areans) tend to not really keep a lot of cars hanging around.

Comment

Nice. I love abandoned E30's or barn finds. They are awesome!

Comment

Sweet, you must be good at your job!
        Do the timing belt and water pump before you even turn it over.

Comment

Oh, and welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
            Sweet, you must be good at your job!
            Do the timing belt and water pump before you even turn it over.
            Thanks, I think I'm pretty good at my job... I've also gone above and beyond the call of duty for this lady. I'm also a volunteer EMT, and am the 1st call on her Life Alert tag, have taken her into the hospital, dog sat, etc... I'm sure that has something to do with her son's generous offer, but was not my motivation for helping her out.

Yes, timing, belt, water pump, fluids, plugs, wires, etc will all happen before the key gets turned... Once I have it back home, I'll create a list, and order parts.

Comment

PICS! what town in NJ if I may ask? Im from a smaller town in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                PICS! what town in NJ if I may ask? Im from a smaller town in NJ
                There will be pics, as soon as i have the car.

Westfield, NJ

Comment

Nice find, welcome!
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                  Rear Diff Rebuild
                  Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
                  Transfer Case Rebuild
                  "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Originally posted by TehRaydarlover View Post
                    Nice find, welcome!
                    Thanks Ray! I read through your build thread. Quite the inspiration for my upcoming IX project!

Comment

Thanks Ray! I read through your build thread. Quite the inspiration for my upcoming IX project!
                      haha glad you like it, looking forward to what you do with your ix!
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                      Rear Diff Rebuild
                      Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
                      Transfer Case Rebuild
                      "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

There will be pics, as soon as i have the car.

Westfield, NJ
                        Ugh I'm always over there too. Love that town. Lotta $$ there so it makes sense why it was a give away!
                        www.instagram.com/snwmble
                        #snwmble

Current:
                        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Picked her up today. The interior is wet and moldy, needs a good douching...

Last edited by Ryed; 11-08-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

This is too funny. Picked up an identical one to urs two wks ago in NH, with mudflaps as well. Take those front ones off (Ix specific) and u will sell them quick!

The ironic part is my buddy's whose land rover we used, lives in Westfield
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              This is too funny. Picked up an identical one to urs two wks ago in NH, with mudflaps as well. Take those front ones off (Ix specific) and u will sell them quick!

The ironic part is my buddy's whose land rover we used, lives in Westfield
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=338452
                              A small world indeed! Westfield is the town I grew up in, class of 1991. Wow how it has changed...

I've already received interest in the flaps. Not sure if I'll keep them or not. Right now I'm focusing on cleaning up the inside, it's really moldy in there...

I have a feeling this will be a long-term project as I don't have a lot of free time these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X