Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto to manual swap

Hello all,

i am looking at picking up myself a 89 auto ix and have i have a 87 manual parts car. How hard is it to swap the trans, transfer case , and drive shafts? Can you guys lead me in the direction that could help me. Are there any other parts i would need.

as well do i need to swap out diffs

Comment

No, you don't need to swap diffs or driveshafts.

You need the trans, transfercase, clutch, shifter, and pedals. Re use the rest.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks, much appreciated

Comment

The auto cars have 4.10 diffs and the stick cars have 3.91's... so you may or may not want to swap diffs depending on your goals.

Comment

yeah, with a stock M20, I'd keep the 4.10s. stock manual ix's are friggin' slow!
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol... I'd go the other way. I want 3.64's so it doesn't turn 3500 at 80 mph. 165 HP is going to feel slow compared to basically any modern car anyway :p

Comment

lol, well, that's an exaggeration. but the only stock manual ix I've ever driven literally felt like a truck!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  lol, well, that's an exaggeration. but the only stock manual ix I've ever driven literally felt like a truck!
                  I totally agree. Thats why when I swapped mine, I kept the 4.10's in there. Definitely improved the car.

I have 3.64's that are going in my current car when I do get around to swapping, just because I want to see how they feel. Not expecting any performance increase from them.

Comment

if i was going to rebuild the head and put a cam in bigger injectors are the 4.10's still the diff id want to run.

Comment

Wait..... I thought the ratios were the other way around? I thought the manuals had the 4.10's. Ive been living a lie! lol

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        I think the Getrag 260's ratios have something to do with that. 3.82 first times 3.91 axle is 14.94 overall... so first tops out at like 5 mph and then the engine drops 45% of its RPM going into 2nd.

Comment

My first gear tops out at 30mph :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeamer View Post
                            if i was going to rebuild the head and put a cam in bigger injectors are the 4.10's still the diff id want to run.
                            Yes

Comment

I say keep your 4.10 and get a lighter fly-wheel. You will probably feel a bigger difference that way. I never done it though, just an idea.
                              I spend 90% of my money and women, cars, and booze. The other 10% is wasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X