Koni vs Billy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni vs Billy's

Is it worth it to go for Koni sports over the Billy HD's? This would be with the HR Sports

Turner has a sale now that brings the price pretty close to even between the two

Also are there any modifications or adjustments required for the Koni's?
    1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
    1984 MTech1 323i

If I could go back I'd buy Koni's. My front billys needed replacing within 10k.

Comment

^^^^^^^
      I second that and if your car is lowered at all they are completely useless

Konis all day

Comment

ive never run konis but it seems like everyone ever likes them more than billiys, if you decide to go with the blillys though, i would suggest the sports and not the HD's you'll have more travel with the smaller springs
        Originally posted by Vokuhila
        I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Billy's are cheaper and good for DD with H&Rs

Comment

Il go with koni's now, price is about right for the small upgrade With h&r's lowering springs.

Comment

Konis + HR Sports since last July. Don't know how they compare to Bilsteins, but so far so great.
              sigpic

Comment

I guess I'm the opposite. I have had better luck with Bilstein vs Koni. Don't get me wrong I like Koni but I have had durability issues with them.

Ride comfort I like the Koni's for adjustibility.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I guess I'm the opposite. I have had better luck with Bilstein vs Koni. Don't get me wrong I like Koni but I have had durability issues with them.

Ride comfort I like the Koni's for adjustibility.

But for 25% off I will be buying a set of front E36 M drop in's.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Interesting. I have always considered Bilsteins the much more respected brand... I equate Koni as cheep.

I've always run H&R and Bilstein on my daily drivers for the past... christ... 17 years.

Comment

When I looked to upgrade last summer I trolled this sub forum for a consensus on the Billy vs. Koni question. Seemed like Koni was the slight winner and I got a good price. I liked the adjustability too.

My car had Bilsteins on it when I bought it about one year prior, and while they felt a bit tired, I have no idea how old they were. Still have them laying around.
                      sigpic

Comment

Bilsteins ride like crap. They're ok with stock suspension but if you're lowering, you will want to trim the bump stops for sure.

longevity wise they're both going to be about the same. Nothing lasts for ever and certainly not shock valving.

I went down the road of custom matched Bilsteins for my spring rates - I did everything "right". The ride quality was really, really bad, and even worse, one of the shocks blew after only a couple months. It ended up being a complete waste of time/money, I switched them out for the Konis that I wanted and should have bought the first time. Night and day difference - the handling is better too since the car doesn't get bounced around so much.

also, they don't make a Bilstein Sport for the ix. The travel is also exactly the same, it's really the same shock with a difference in valving. But any Bilstein can be revalved - at a cost.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Who did the custom valving on your Bilsteins?

Comment

Bilstein. lol
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

lol I think I'm going to go with the konis and the ix h&r sports
                              1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                              1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Working...
                              X