What are your thought on the 325XI yes XI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your thought on the 325XI yes XI

Whats up guys, I have been a long time owner of an 88 325ix and thinking about updating to the e46 platform. Found a pretty nice 01 manual 325xi and seeing if anyone has had experience with them and how the awd system compares, maintence, problems, all that jazz that goes into buying a new car.

Thanks
    Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
    Cab
    billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
    : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
    88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

2001 BMW 325ci here..great running and driving car,nothing like the e30 platform. Good luck
    NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

My first car was a 325xi touring. PO totally neglected it. Had to replace both front CVs, which was a bitch but my dad and I did it. Parts are considerably more expensive for xi's and theres really not any aftermarket for them. They're also a fkn beetch to work on. Everything is so cramped. IMHO the xi awd system is not nearly as good as the one on the e30 ix. The transfer case as well as the differentials are open, non locking. The DSC controls wheel slip. That being said I drove through the mountains during the winter and traction was great. In all honesty, I will NEVER, EVER buy an AWD car ever again unless its a 325ix. if the example you're looking at has been well taken care of, you might have a better experience than mine, but I really don't think the added complexity and cost is worth it.
      = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Well the only reason why im looking at the XI is that I want something with more modern amenities updated cabin more refined etc. And Audi's of the same generation the awd is leaps and bounds better the engines are very unreliable. My budget is only about 6k and looking for a good modernish winter awd car.
        Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Oh and the avants are next to impossible to find in manual, if you do they are s4's and those are worlds largest money pit.
          Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

I can't speak to the XI specifically, but my 330Ci has been dead-nuts reliable and is an excellent DD.

Also sub'd to this thread, because I have a friend who is also looking for one and was asking me about the week points. Gots to get learn'd.

Comment

the E46 xi is a decent DD. Main issues that are Xi specific would be the front CV shafts. They seem to be made of balsa wood or something because they don't last

personally, I'd look for something with the Xdrive system, like an E90 325xi, 330xi, or 328xi, which is far superior. still no rear LSD, but at least the center diff can actually lock. the Xdrive setup is primarily RWD with an electronic clutch that can vary the locking % to the front wheels.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Very happy with my E46 330XI. It has a ZHP front bumper, cams, and software, both front half shafts are GKN Lobro and have had zero issues. Having switched from my DD 325IX and having rally-crossed both, I will say that the E46 AWD isn't as good as the IX, but it's close. Definitely not bad.
                It's nice to get in my car and have working AC, a modern interior, and be quite is nice for driving to work.

Gets about the same gas mileage as the IX too. One hing I do like better is the fact that the motor is making full torque at just 3500 rpm. As long as you replace Vanos seals and confirm that your DISA valves are working, the motor has an awesome power/torque curve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                  Very happy with my E46 330XI. It has a ZHP front bumper, cams, and software, both front half shafts are GKN Lobro and have had zero issues. Having switched from my DD 325IX and having rally-crossed both, I will say that the E46 AWD isn't as good as the IX, but it's close. Definitely not bad.
                  It's nice to get in my car and have working AC, a modern interior, and be quite is nice for driving to work.

Gets about the same gas mileage as the IX too. One hing I do like better is the fact that the motor is making full torque at just 3500 rpm. As long as you replace Vanos seals and confirm that your DISA valves are working, the motor has an awesome power/torque curve!

You upgraded the entire shafts or just the CVs the shafts are $300 a piece on pelican. Damn.
                  Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

I was looking at picking up a xi a few months ago and did a ton of research. It looks like the CV joints only fail, and fail quickly, if the boots tear and dirt and water get in them. Otherwise they are fine.

I did make it this past winter in a rwd e46 with snows (general altimax arctics), drove thru 8+ inches of snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bmk View Post
                      You upgraded the entire shafts or just the CVs the shafts are $300 a piece on pelican. Damn.

Brand new shafts.
                      Both sides

Purchased from Guten parts.

Much better service, quicker shipping, and one stop shopping if also ordering things from other companies and don't want to fill your info in on multiple websites.

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

my mom has an e46 325xi touring. she loves the car.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          my mom has an e46 325xi touring. she loves the car.

Well Im glad the me and the Mom's are on the same page. Haha.

I decided to pull the trigger on it. Picked up a 01 325xiT 5 speed 130k miles. It does need front CV's replaced but I got the car for a very good price considering it is a 5 speed with relatively low miles. From my research the 5 speeds go for 3k more and I bought the car for a little over that. Its got some dings and small dent but overall petty clean car.

Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

looks great!
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X