IX Running Rough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX Running Rough...

Son came home from college - I had a few things to do on his car and I thought I could get through them in one day (speedometer gears and rotate tires). So I was a bit surprised when I jumped in the car to move it in the garage and the car was running rough..

It sounded like it was misfiring..

So I pulled the air cleaner, checked vacuum hoses and found a cracked crankcase to throttle body hose.. but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the complete issue..

I pulled the plugs and found that #5 was fouled up.. as you see in the pic the others weren't fouled and were all in similar shape.

So what can cause this?
    Attached Files

I plan on getting the proper Bosch WR8 plugs (the one that were in there are the Bosch platinum's)..

I pulled the cap and rotor.

Cap looked like normal wear..

The rotor looks like this.. A bit rougher around the edge than expected..
    Attached Files

Comment

Cap pic...

(Damn these things are expensive)

Car idled - didn't die.. didn't sound like a vacuum leak sons been driving it to work like this for a month or so (according to him).. ICV seemed ok - could hear the rattle.. Brain is a bit foggy this winter.. (so I thought I ask)

Anything else - that I could be forgetting? Or anything else to check?
      Attached Files

Comment

My 240k IX does this also (uses a quart between oil changes) alway #5 plug I just clean it and rotate it into another hole ,runs fine again
        makes me wonder if that hole didn't get bored/honed properly or runs hottest a wears piston rings out faster than other holes

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
          My 240k IX does this also (uses a quart between oil changes) alway #5 plug I just clean it and rotate it into another hole ,runs fine again
          makes me wonder if that hole didn't get bored/honed properly or runs hottest a wears piston rings out faster than other holes

Odd- Thanks for that..

I went ahead and ordered a couple of rotors and caps and 2 sets of plugs from BAVAUTO - the prices were better than Pelican and e-euro with the Cyber Monday and all.. might as well stock an extra set - since I own 3 E30s.. :(

Comment

Just ordered front bilsteins and swaybar bushings for mine using that BavAuto sale, good deals, been waiting for this sale

Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Leaking valve cover gasket or cam plug can cause this. Or bad rings or valve guides? I would pull the valve cover and put a new one on with a little rtv at the plugs and corners. You might want to do a compression test and leak down to rule some things out.
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                Leaking valve cover gasket or cam plug can cause this. Or bad rings or valve guides? I would pull the valve cover and put a new one on with a little rtv at the plugs and corners. You might want to do a compression test and leak down to rule some things out.

Good suggestion - I will try that this weekend - I think I have an extra gasket lying around (and some cam plugs).. I'll check compression then too and report back...

Comment

Because of the harmonics of these motors, #5 will always be the first to show any signs of problems. Wether it be bearing wear, loss of compression, valve guides, etc...
                  The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post
                    Good suggestion - I will try that this weekend - I think I have an extra gasket lying around (and some cam plugs).. I'll check compression then too and report back...
                    And if you could get it smoked I would. Rule out all your vac leaks as well.
                    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Paid a little extra for BOSCH.. and here is what I get..

Anyone ever seen this before... ?

:giggle:

Thankfully I ordered 2 -and can complete my son's tuneup this weekend..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Update.

Finished installing all the components I ordered (Plugs, Cap, Rotor, crank case vacuum hose). I also cleaned ICV valve.

I also ran a compression check across all 6 cylinders - All were 150+ and held..

The car ran great after that..

Not sure what to think..

Comment

Glad you got it working! At this age the e30s can be finicky at times

Comment

Working...
                          X