Front differential seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front differential seal replacement

Does anyone know of a front diff output seal replacement DIY anywhere? Using this picture as a reference, I'm pretty sure the driver's side seal is right at the differential itself, however I'm not sure about the passenger side. Is it by the boot? Or is it up under the oil pan? Help!

Right diff/axle seal are in that right side extension housing you see sticking out right side of oilpan. There is only an o-ring between diff and pan on right side where it bolts to pan. Tube thru pan is sealed.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

By right side you do mean the passenger side, correct? If so should I remove from the oil pan or closer to the boot?

Thanks.

Comment

you don't need to remove the pan. The extension is held on by 3 bolts. you would only need to remove it if you were replacing the o-ring, but I suppose it would make redoing the seal easier.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          you don't need to remove the pan. The extension is held on by 3 bolts. you would only need to remove it if you were replacing the o-ring, but I suppose it would make redoing the seal easier.
          Sorry I should've been more clear - I meant do I remove the bolts by the pan or are the ones closer to the boot good enough to replace the seal? I just wasn't sure where in the the extension the diff output seal was.

Edit: and jesus I just looked at your build thread - wish I had someone like you close to me that could help me with the issues I'm having. Nice job.
          Last edited by Deja_Vu; 12-13-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

it's on the outside. if you pull the shaft, you should see the seal. you don't have to unbolt anything else to replace it - just remove the shaft.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Another question (not differential seal related at all). I bought the timing belt kit from Pelican and have all belts removed right now. A few questions:

a) How do you get the camshaft sprocket nut released without it spinning?

b) When should the thermostat housing be replaced? Just when it's cracked or something? Mine is looking scaly and has some buildup around the "threads" (really just ridges) for the hoses that's not coming up after scraping with a wire brush. I'm tempted to replace it just because it's looking rough. Is it worth it?

c) I also got a "gasket for front engine cover." This item. Doing a google search doesn't really show much of where it could go...and the same part number (minus M17) shows up as a timing cover gasket.

Hope you guys can help. I just wanna drive this thing!

Comment

a. Don't take the camshaft off, so don't touch that nut.

b. You can replace it. Unless you had leaking coolant, it's not an issue. Use sandpaper to clean it.

c. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4302 I've never replaced this gasket, because I've never removed that cover. Don't remove that cover.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  a. Don't take the camshaft off, so don't touch that nut.

b. You can replace it. Unless you had leaking coolant, it's not an issue. Use sandpaper to clean it.

c. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4302 I've never replaced this gasket, because I've never removed that cover. Don't remove that cover.
                  a) well the kit came with a replacement o-ring for the cam flange which requires the removal of the camshaft sprocket. In fact the tutorial video for replacing the timing belt includes a section for replacing the ring. Also every single gasket I've tried so far was significant deteriorated. There are also pretty significant leaks from the differentials too. I just imagine that many seals/gaskets need to be replaced.

b) yeah I ended up ordering another one. While attempting to clean it with a wire brush a metal chunk came off the housing.

c) why? I feel as it was provided for a reason.

I'm fairly new to all this so I just would like reasons for a & b....Not that I don't believe what you're saying.

Comment

Working...
                  X