Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is $1900 to do the rear SubFrame bushings a ridiculous amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
    Thank goodness for a dry California car then!
    Those are a joy to work on man! The clean cars rarely fight...

*I wanted to add that we also replaced shock mounts and the trailing arm bushings too. *
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

if you DIY it you should track down and rent (or buy but they aren't cheap) the subframe bushing tool and the trailing arm bushing tool. They both will make this job easier overall.

Realistically, there are so many "while you're in there" bits and pieces that you can replace when you do this job that it really is worth doing it yourself IMO. E brake lines, ebrake linings, maybe think about camber/toe adjusters (needs welding), sway bar connection reinforcement (also needs welding), sway bar, axles, diff bushing, giubo, center support bearing, the T fitting for the rear brakes, rear strut mounts, hell even rear wheel bearings...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
        Is the IX any different in the rear from a coupe?

Does it have to come down?

If it's no different than a regular e30 in the rear, then that is a brutal price in my opinion!

I had mine done at a dealership for under $200. I supplied the bushings.
        This is why I love this forum...I called the local BMW dealership here and they said it was only a 3 hour job because they have a special tool for this specific job. Just saved over $1,000 on this! Thanks community!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
          Sorry you're not closer. I'd give you a hand. If you are considering doing it yourself just follow the steps in my signature and feel free to ask any questions.

And what Nisse said is correct. It can be done with the subframe still in the car with the right tools. This is why BMW can do it much quicker. I'm not sure of the details...
          I looked through your step by step guide, that is incredible. It also helped me see how big of a job taking out the rear subframe is! - Also, thanks for the tip, I called the local BMW dealership and they said it's less than a 3 hour job because of the tools they have. Crazy. Thanks a ton to everyone here. You all are the best.

Comment

Report back once its complete :up:
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
              Report back once its complete :up:
              Will do! It's going in the shop next Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it goes! Hopefully, that fixes that damn clunk and nothing else major pops up.

Comment

Awesome! That's good to know. I nromally stay away from BMW dealerships near me. Even just their parts pricing is through the roof. I wanted to get new bolts for my exhaust and they wanted $13 each.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwiley65 View Post
                  I looked through your step by step guide, that is incredible. It also helped me see how big of a job taking out the rear subframe is! - Also, thanks for the tip, I called the local BMW dealership and they said it's less than a 3 hour job because of the tools they have. Crazy. Thanks a ton to everyone here. You all are the best.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Just do them yourself man. It'll take a day or two if you never did it.
                    e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
                      Awesome! That's good to know. I nromally stay away from BMW dealerships near me. Even just their parts pricing is through the roof. I wanted to get new bolts for my exhaust and they wanted $13 each.

My dealership said the same thing but then after we did some digging the 1 series used the same copper nuts and were 80 cents a piece or something like that

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

You're in Denver? If you supply the tools, and all the stuff, I could be up to help you,, where are the other COLORADO e30 owners at?
                        [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                        Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwiley65 View Post
                          This is why I love this forum...I called the local BMW dealership here and they said it was only a 3 hour job because they have a special tool for this specific job. Just saved over $1,000 on this! Thanks community!
                          Which Dealership?

Can you supply the info? I wonder if they will do with NON OEM bushings or POLYS....

has anyone ever Done a combination or POLY and /or Rubber Bushings?

Does the IX have the Camber/toe adjustable weld-ins available too?

Morgan
                          [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                          Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

I made my own tool to remove and install the bushings. So far I have done it on 3 of my E30's and It's never taken me over 2 hours to complete the job.

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                              You're in Denver? If you supply the tools, and all the stuff, I could be up to help you,, where are the other COLORADO e30 owners at?

I’ve never done it but if it solves the clunking noise I may be next in line lol! Can’t wait for updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll just be a jack ass....and say....

Part of the fun of owning an e30 is working on them. And dropping a subframe, is like getting hazed for a fraternity. It sucks, you might wake up with a sore ass, but at least you know you're in the club. (no homo)
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X