Spring rates for daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring rates for daily?

Is 400F / 550R too aggressive for DD duties? Maybe some of you guys have something near this setup and can recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

I think you want to be more like 275 in the front.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

275 is too soft for coilovers IMO. IIRC my original setup was something like 500/600. It wasn't so bad actually with good dampers, but I ended up putting the 500# springs in the rear and run 400# up front now. It's only slightly stiffer than my stock 330i with the koni's set to full soft.

If you have Bilstiens it's going to ride like crap no matter what though.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        275 is too soft for coilovers IMO. IIRC my original setup was something like 500/600. It wasn't so bad actually with good dampers, but I ended up putting the 500# springs in the rear and run 400# up front now. It's only slightly stiffer than my stock 330i with the koni's set to full soft.

I'm going to stick with 400F/550R. Just got an email back from GC and Donovan said those are good rates for DD.

Comment

It's only slightly stiffer than my stock 330i with the koni's set to full soft.
          Really? I've gone from H&R Race/Bilsteins to H&R/Konis to H&R Sport/Konis on full soft, and it still rides like total shit compared to my stock B5 A4 with factory sport suspension, particularly over poorly filled potholes, railroad crossings, road joints, etc. Tires may be partly to do with it since I have performance tires on the E30 and all seasons on the Audi. I can't imagine your 330i would have vastly stiffer suspension than my A4. Makes me wonder if something's wrong with my shocks.

Comment

275 with an 8” spring is great with coilovers. You just have to preload the spring to get to the right ride height. It’s a LOT more compliant over bad roads. It works, even with a heavy lump of an S50B32 up front.
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Really? I've gone from H&R Race/Bilsteins to H&R/Konis to H&R Sport/Konis on full soft, and it still rides like total shit compared to my stock B5 A4 with factory sport suspension, particularly over poorly filled potholes, railroad crossings, road joints, etc. Tires may be partly to do with it since I have performance tires on the E30 and all seasons on the Audi. I can't imagine your 330i would have vastly stiffer suspension than my A4. Makes me wonder if something's wrong with my shocks.
              He drives on Washington (state) roads, which, as I recall, are pretty smooth. Unlike, say, the DC area, where we have frost heaves and potholes.

I’ve been on 275 to 1050lbs. springs in the front of BMWs for reference.
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

That's because H&R sports have no suspension travel on the ix. The ride sucks because you spend most of the time bottoming out on the bump stops. My strut housings are 2" shorter than stock, so I have much more suspension travel than you.

Before that yes, the ride quality was much poorer. I've had 5 different suspension setups on my ix, including H&R sports, Bilsteins with stock springs, and 3 coilover setups. The worst ride by far was the custom Bilsteins with my shortened housings, it was like having 2x4's for suspension. That was followed by the Koni/H&R setup which was also painful in many cases.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                He drives on Washington (state) roads, which, as I recall, are pretty smooth. Unlike, say, the DC area, where we have frost heaves and potholes.

I’ve been on 275 to 1050lbs. springs in the front of BMWs for reference.
                ehh, if you saw our streets here.. I wouldn't call them glass smooth. Some of them are so bad they've almost turned back into gravel. Also there is so much construction, everything is all cut up, with temporary patches on top of temporary patches.

The county roads are pretty nice for being tar/gravel, but in the cities it's generally horrible.

Also our freeway hasn't been repaved here since it was built in 1965. lol
                Last edited by nando; 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's because H&R sports have no suspension travel on the ix. The ride sucks because you spend most of the time bottoming out on the bump stops. My strut housings are 2" shorter than stock, so I have much more suspension travel than you.

Before that yes, the ride quality was much poorer. I've had 5 different suspension setups on my ix, including H&R sports, Bilsteins with stock springs, and 3 coilover setups. The worst ride by far was the custom Bilsteins with my shortened housings, it was like having 2x4's for suspension. That was followed by the Koni/H&R setup which was also painful in many cases.

ehh, if you saw our streets here.. I wouldn't call them glass smooth. Some of them are so bad they've almost turned back into gravel. Also there is so much construction, everything is all cut up, with temporary patches on top of temporary patches.

The county roads are pretty nice for being tar/gravel, but in the cities it's generally horrible.

Also our freeway hasn't been repaved here since it was built in 1965. lol
                  Last time I was in Seattle, the roads looked great compared to DC. I’ll grant that that was before the big Seattle building boom really kicked in, though.
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

I don't live in Seattle though, that's 100 miles from here. I drive up in Canada far more than I do in Seattle. :)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't live in Seattle though, that's 100 miles from here. I drive up in Canada far more than I do in Seattle. :)
                      Washington is just Seattle, and the highway to Vancouver. Nothing else exists. ;)
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Oh, to be clear, my car is RWD. I've considered sectioning my struts, but I don't feel like going to coilovers, at least not just yet.

Yeah, it's pretty good on smooth roads, even with the H&R Race springs I had before, but it seems like any scenario where the wheel has to move up and down very quickly, such as potholes or railroad crossings, it just crashes over them. I'm not sure if my expectations are too high, or if my suspension set up needs improvement.

Comment

Oh, to be clear, my car is RWD. I've considered sectioning my struts, but I don't feel like going to coilovers, at least not just yet.

Yeah, it's pretty good on smooth roads, even with the H&R Race springs I had before, but it seems like any scenario where the wheel has to move up and down very quickly, such as potholes or railroad crossings, it just crashes over them. I'm not sure if my expectations are too high, or if my suspension set up needs improvement.
                          You posted this in the iX section, FYI.

Your biggest issue is inadequate suspension travel. You may try camber plates with a shorter stack height, or bilsteins with the internal bump stop trimmed 1-2 inches, or raise the car. Also, if you are running stock E30 bump stops, switch to E36 M3 when you swap in the camber plates.
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

This just voided everything you said. This is specifically for ix not rwd[emoji55]

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                              This just voided everything you said. This is specifically for ix not rwd[emoji55]

Honestly, the same applies to iX and RWD.
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Working...