Clanking noise in the front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clanking noise in the front

Unfortunately it's bee a busy winter and I haven't had time to get underneath and diagnose my problem, anyone have any ideas?

THe front drivers corner clanks a lot when I'm driving down the road or going over bumps, doesn't really seem to matter if the road is smooth or not. Also, above 40mph there is a vibration under hard braking.

The steering feels good so without looking I would be inclined to think it's not a tie rod end which leaves me to an upper shock mount, sway bar link, or control arm. The clanking almost feels like it's coming from under my dead pedal...this is most likely a control arm balljoint, right?

Any other similar experiences? I'll look at it tomorrow night after work and try to see for sure.

ball joints, CABs, upper strut mounts come to mind.

jack up the car and see what you can move around - when my ball joints went out, I could move the front wheels quite a bit.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

jacked it up, everything felt tight, guess i'll have to look a little closer at all the bushings

Comment

Can you duplicate it by having someone jounce the car while you try to pinpoint the noise?
        sigpic

Comment

don't think so, I tried that yesterday.

how long do control arms last? the car has had an easy life on florida streets and only has 89k, I have to look at it closely this weekend, but I'm hoping it's a tie rod end or control arm bushing...cheap and easy! I just realized those control arms cost $257.00 each!!

Comment

the inner ball joints last forever, the outters do not - however, the outters are replaceable seperately for about $50.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had a very similar problem, but all my stuff had been replaced everything befor that(tie rods, CA's CAB's) My mechanic couldnt even figure it out for a while. Finally figured out it was my steering rack starting to take a shit. When you brake the toe changes and the loose rods in there are banging around. At least that is the way he explained it. It was doing it over very small bumps in the road too, kind of a knocking. just a thought.
              sigpic

Comment

I doubt it with only 89k, but who knows. I think that would be noticeable in the steering though with more play.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I could not "feel" any difference either, just a knocking. Actually after reading it again, the symptoms are almost exactly to what I was having. Although 89k is pretty low, but who knows.
                  Last edited by aaron325ix; 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Where can I order the outer ball joints from? Also, can i use m3 offest bushings for the control arms or are they iX specific. I have a set of offset bushings in the carriers sitting in my toolbox, it would make for a quick swap.

Comment

My friend has the M3 bushings in his iX and loves them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                        Where can I order the outer ball joints from? Also, can i use m3 offest bushings for the control arms or are they iX specific. I have a set of offset bushings in the carriers sitting in my toolbox, it would make for a quick swap.
                        yeah, they work great actually. give it a shot since you already have them.

as far as where to get the parts, you should be able to order them almost anywhere over the phone - I don't know who lists them on a website though.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                        X