A small but potentially big issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small but potentially big issue.

Im looking at buying an iX that has a clean rust free body, BUT it seems like it needs a major valve adjustment. My question for you guys is basically, does this motor have a tendency to be very noisy? Could it be the timing belt or water pump?

m20 = typewriter....

Comment

good that's a little more refreshing. Ive never heard an e30 motor that loud though!

Comment

Change the timing belt, adjust the valves, and run an oil additive then if its still loud you have problems.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
          Change the timing belt, adjust the valves, and run an oil additive then if its still loud you have problems.
          Yeah I actually had plans of doing the first two once in my possession. Ill try the oil additive as well. My signs are pointing to the timing being massively off.

Comment

Maybe ask the guy if you can do a valve adjustment before buying it? That way if it's not the problem, you know what you're getting into or can avoid it altogether... 2 hours of your time is cheap insurance against dealing with a major headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Mclassy View Post
              Yeah I actually had plans of doing the first two once in my possession. Ill try the oil additive as well. My signs are pointing to the timing being massively off.
              Timing is not adjustable on an M20, so that ain't it.

Pull the valve cover off and look carefully at the camshaft. Look for grooves where the rocker arm pad rides on the cam. If you see a big freeking trench, the thing needs a new cam and likely as not a fresh head.

This would be good ammunition to beat them down on the price...

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

THANKS! I just brought that up to the seller. Ill be waiting for his response.

Comment

noisey valves

If your cam lobes are worn, it's because the oiling tube is dirty or cause it's and auto (lower RPM at Idle) which gives lower oil pressure at idle . The back half of the tube will drip but the front section will be dry causing wear at idling. Up grade/modify the tube . joe

Comment

Thanks! Im actually thinking of turning this car over to my buddy. So, please by all means keep the helpful comments pouring in. Id like to make sure he gets it in good running condition.

Comment

Working...
                    X