Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

its raining...drove through a puddle, and my car starts to sputter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its raining...drove through a puddle, and my car starts to sputter....

so, its raining out here, and i decided to take the ix out for a spin. i end up driving through about a 6 inch puddle....i hear water splashing up underneath the car, and about 5 seconde later, the car starts to stumble and sputter. it finally dies, and i have a really hard time starting it up again. im finally able to start it up again gas it like crazy, its running like crap, and limp it back home. an hour later, i go back to try and start it up again and it runs fine!!!

the next time it rains, i do the same thing and try to diagnose the problem....same thing, except it doesnt start at all....i try to start it again after 20 minutes, and it starts up fine, and runs normal.

it seems like something is getting wet, shorting, and causing the computer to trip out or something!!...then when it dries, everything is fine.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?...any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Puff.
    Last edited by Puff; 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM.

Are there any check engine lights when this happens? Might want to check the wires for the oxygen sensor. there is another sensor at the crack just behind the pulley. Might want to check the sensor wire there too as it is pretty low. Btw, what year is your ix?

Comment

Did you suck up any water? ie CAI?
      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

you would have to drive an ix through ~2 feet of water to suck it into the intake. I've been up to the bumpers in mine..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          you would have to drive an ix through ~2 feet of water to suck it into the intake. I've been up to the bumpers in mine..
          But if he is running a cold air intake it could be less....

Sorry, dont know what I was thinking. LOL. Its just that I ran into this problem with my M3, and it was because of my intake...
          Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

you'd still have to be above the bumper, unless he put it down by the foglights or something.

anyway it's definitely not hydrolock, or his engine would already be dead. Something electrical is getting wet or is damaged.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks for the advice. my ix is an 88 5 speed manual.

its definately not hydrolock. no water getting into the engine, and no steam coming out of the exhaust. it just seemed like the problem caused the fuel mixture to lean out. i also checked the c191, and it was clean.

anyways, i think i am going to get a new o2 sensor..it looks kind of old, and a bit of corrosion on it.

any other electrical items or componenets near the bottom of the car i should be aware of?

Comment

an O2 sensor isn't going to make your car not want to start. I would be checking the ground on the front of the engine (oil pan to subframe) and alternator.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The o2 sensor has nothing to do with starting, You may be getting enough moisture through the air filter to effect the MAF. That would have a big effect on starting.

Comment

I had almost the same situation yesterday. On a 2 hr trip in WV through the snow, about 10 mins from my house the radio dies, then the car starts sputtering and the exhaust starts popping when off the gas. Shortly after all this the car dies on the interstate. While I'm standing there I notice something dangling from under the pass. side. It is the connector that connects to the O2 sensor. Plug it back in and she starts right up and drives like normal the rest of my way home. Today I go out to start and it is doing the same thing it was doing after it dies on the side of the interstate except the connector is plugged in. I'm at a loss...
                    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

If it's not the O2 sensor, you might have water getting into your crank position sensor.

Comment

check the condition of your spark plug wires? I had a crack in the cable thats connected to the first cable (forget what the hell that cable is, been awhile since i peaked under the hood of an e30) and it would sputter and/or die if I drove through a puddle when it rained
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zedfez View Post
                          If it's not the O2 sensor, you might have water getting into your crank position sensor.
                          That's my vote.

Turbo M20, MSnS, 38lb, 3" no cat, RPI 12.2", ATS DTC, 240whp/240wtq, Lmnop. www.DonsGarage.net

Comment

Pull your distributor cap and spray it with WD-40, then do the same with the 3 relays on your left fender (under the black cover) but pull them out and drench them on the bottom.

GL!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^ StereoInstaller1 knows.

Its your distributor that is getting wet. A little water gets in there and makes it missfire for a bit then flings it out and it dries off and runs great again.

I do this all the time in my ix.
                              Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
                              Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Working...
                              X