New guy to forum but not to euros!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy to forum but not to euros!!

Hey everyone just wanted to introduce myself I'm Jim from PA I just bought an 88 325ix with 17k original miles on it. The car has sat for the past 6 years paint is faded seats are dry no cracks on the dash. I put a battery in it and all electronics worked bumped the key it turns over. Didn't want it to run before I chane timing belt. Is there anything else to do or look for besides obvious maintenance. The whole car is here black with dove gray 5 speed. Any special tools I should buy or make. Clutch pedal sticks to floor but springs up when I help it. So I'm assuming slave cylinder as well needs changed. Thanks everyone

Hi Jim! Welcome! I’m from the philly suburbs originally, don’t recall many cowboys in that part of PA, lol.
    Sounds like a great low mileage ix find. Where did you get it?
    Timing belt is first for sure. Lube the front driveshaft splines (VERY important) they are bound to be dry from sitting. Change ALL the fluids, do a jack test to confirm the transfer case is working, check all the CV boots for cracks, check front LCA’s and ball joints.
    Then sell to me!
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Sounds like you've got a really nice car to start from. Congrats.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

i live up in the woods haha we will have to meet up sometime I'm a diehard eagles fan so I'm down there alot. my question for you guys is i ordered a timing belt and waterpump complete kit on FCP euro a new intake boot and some other maintenance parts. put a new battery in all electronics work. now i have the car completely in the air i youtubed the jack test not sure if im doing it right. car is up on all fours the slave cylinder is bad. so am i supposed to put it in gear and spin wheels and i take it all four should spin same time like a vw system? and i will take both driveshafts out and lube everything. i will use all oem fluids unless you guys have another option for the diffs (redline?) thanks for all your help i will post some pictures up soon of the car. looking forward to getting it back on the road. and i bought the car off an old lady two towns over from me in pringle it was her sons car something happened never wanted to sell it and i was just there at the right time.

Comment

I'm living in Vermont now, hence the need for an ix lol!

Still a huge Eagles fan, congrats to Andy Reid for his Super Bowl win last night!

I prefer Redline products but oem fluids should be fine.

Use this stuff to lube the front driveshaft: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/31735285?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Lubricants%2C+Coolants+%26+Fluids+-+PLA_swy4cXR3r___164124448685_c_S&mkwid=swy4cXR3r| dc&pcrid=164124448685&rd=k&product_id=31735285&gcl id=EAIaIQobChMI8dTBy-u15wIVDisMCh1NaguMEAkYAiABEgJ_NPD_BwE

Jack test is done with the wheels on the car....see the video below:
          1991 BMW 325ix Touring performing “jack test.” Demonstrating functionality of transfer case and front differential.
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

thank you for the help! and very happy he got his ring. once i do the timing belt and maintenance parts ill fire it up and put the jack under it now in the event that the transfer case is bad is the car still drive able as a rear drive since the diff will just pretty much be an open diff in front or will damage occur from driving if in the event the transfer case is somehow bad

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy.Jim View Post
              thank you for the help! and very happy he got his ring. once i do the timing belt and maintenance parts ill fire it up and put the jack under it now in the event that the transfer case is bad is the car still drive able as a rear drive since the diff will just pretty much be an open diff in front or will damage occur from driving if in the event the transfer case is somehow bad
              Yes still drive able with a bad transfer case. I gotta believe with just 15k miles on the car the transfer case will be in better shape than most ix's out there with 10 times the mileage!
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I would Seafoam the bores/rings before firing it up if it has not been started.

Comment

The awd works checked it today drained the coolant timing belt kit will be here tomorrow started taking it apart fan clutch is off hoses belts going to freshen it up new re-start hoses and radiator are in route. CV boots look great. The shield for the slave cylinder sadly was brittle and crumbled apart on me. But the new slave and hose is on as well. Draining diffs trans and t-case tomorrow and will post pictures! I will pull the plugs and pour 2 tsp down each cylinder and let sit.

Comment

Working...
                  X