Steering shaft options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering shaft options?

Hey everyone i was doing my front end and pulled the subframe and my steering shaft is looking like it's seen better days. Are there any IX specific options out there? everything i see aftermarket wise doesn't support the IX and i would like to put a shaft back in before i put everything else in. any other e30 or e36 shaft work or can i still get the parts for the shaft individually and rebuild it?

What's wrong with it? Is the rubber coupling worn out? They all are at this point.

I'm not sure how different the iX shafts are from regular RWD shafts, but a few companies sell their own shafts with customizable lengths. Also, some companies sell replacement couplings of different durometers, but the shafts have to be heavily modified to accept these (though it might be worth it if this is what you're looking to fix).
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

If it’s just the rubber I got a Delrin one from condor and widened the mounting holes so the bigger nuts and bolts can fit through it. Haven’t tested it out yet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ritzace View Post
        If it’s just the rubber I got a Delrin one from condor and widened the mounting holes so the bigger nuts and bolts can fit through it. Haven’t tested it out yet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        i was worried about the joints being shot in the couplers but the rubber pad is bad as well i will order that pad from condor since i just ordered everything else from them.

Comment

I'm also considering getting a delrin coupler instead of the rubber one.
          Please let me know how it feels once you've installed it :)

However I can't recall having a guibo in the engine bay, I went through some old pictures and I think there's one fitted in the interior space instead of the engine bay.
          Would this be iX + airbag specific...?
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            I'm also considering getting a delrin coupler instead of the rubber one.
            Please let me know how it feels once you've installed it :)

However I can't recall having a guibo in the engine bay, I went through some old pictures and I think there's one fitted in the interior space instead of the engine bay.
            Would this be iX + airbag specific...?
            It might be a few weeks before I can try it out, and yeah It looks like the airbag version has the guibo on the inside opposed to the engine bay as well as different part numbers for the guibos
            https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_0492
            vs
            https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_0484

Comment

It might be a few weeks before I can try it out, and yeah It looks like the airbag version has the guibo on the inside opposed to the engine bay as well as different part numbers for the guibos
              https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_0492
              vs
              https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_0484
              Nice find!

The 32311155522 part looks pretty identical to the BMW 2002 (E10) steering shaft coupler. Wondering if they would be interchangeable as I'm pretty sure there are poly or delrin replacement for this the 02..
              However, I'm using the vin number of my touring on Realoem and am missing this diagram. but I'm pretty sure the picture I posted, the 32311155522 guibo is present.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

i ordered the derlin mount for mine the other day. what i was getting at was the u joints look beat up on each end of the shaft i was wondering if there was any aftermaket support for them as well or just to stop being paranoid and put it back in and run it with the derlin mount.

Comment

It's not usually the giubo that wears out, although replacing it with a plastic giubo remedies it.

What really wears out is the plastic bushing inside the lower half of the giubo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	steering coupler.png
Views:	176
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	9947381

The end of the steering column has a tapered/smaller end that fits into a bushing, after it goes through the giubo. When that bushing is worn, you can grab the knuckle while it is all assembled, and it will have lateral movement (not rotational). The rotational movement comes from the slop in that hole, which causes the giubo to bind up.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I got around fitting the new poly coupler this weekend. Much improved feedback/input in the steering wheel!
                    Would definitely recommend

The new coupler it quite a bit thicker than the original rubber guibo, so I had to press of the studs in the lower shaft and aluminium mount/flange

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Oh nice is that the e10 Guibo you were talking about?

Comment

Oh nice is that the e10 Guibo you were talking about?
                        I bought this one from a local-ish shop. They list it for many older BMWs
                        Urethaan stuurstang rubber. Inclusief 8x40mm bouten met zelfborgende moeren. Vervang uw versleten rubberen stuurstang...

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X