Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions re: tire age and winter tire sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions re: tire age and winter tire sizes?

My iX has two old (03 build dates) all-season with aggressive tread pattern (5K miles) Conti's (205/55/15) on the rear and two relatively new (3K) all-season Kumhos (205/55/14) 4X II on the front. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase Kumhos to replace the Conti's. Or, purchase 4 winter tires....but the only available size for OEM wheels is 195/60/15, I live in IL and drive < 1000 miles/winter because a Focus RS is my DD. FYI- I have dedicated summer tires on second set of refurbished IX alloys.

Thanks!

JC

Mismatched tires on an iX = fried transfer case viscous coupling. Get four new tires and you will thank yourself. Couplings are NLA so good matched tires are cheap insurance.

Comment

On point! Will do. Thx!!

Comment

My iX has tires so old they don't have date codes! Cracked to the point I'm surprised they hold air. Tires are next in my restoration. I found I can buy the 205/55/15 size in Kumhos 4X, and not much else.

I'm spoiled by newer tires. My DD has Michelin pilot AS3 (AWD Acura TL). They are plenty sticky in summer, and amazing in the wet and snow. What tires do we have as options for our 15" rims?

Comment

195 60 15 is the only size with many options. They look good enough, but I would look at the tire tread width spec when comparing. Tire rack has a spec menu option. 225 50 15 is another option.

Comment

There are also 205/50R15, which is a more popular size. a little bit too small, but there's more options than 205/55R15.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X