No announcement yet.

OE Front Axle Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That long tube is what gives the ix a lot of travel potential, since the joint can move in and out as the suspension articulates. The newer ones seem a lot more limited in their range of motion (maybe that's why they don't last for shit).

It must be possible to remove and replace that crimped part, as people were rebuilding these with new cages and bearings when they were available. Man I wish I had just done it instead of waffling for years.. it wasn't even very expensive. :(
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So is the issue just rebuilds or are we running out of 'good shafts' to rebuild? I haven't heard any stories about broken front axles shafts on these cars although I'm sure it has happened. It seems the cages/balls wear out and the clicking starts first. Maybe you guys can help me understand what we need more? Parts? Full shafts? Both? I think I'm going to still chase down this lead in California with new manufactured performance shafts though. If I start racing my car I'm going to need every option available to keep costs down lol.

Nando you should be able to still have them rebuilt depending on the level of damage. I contacted numerous places earlier this year about manufacturing new joints and only two responded with the ability to refresh/rebuild them. I included photos and information about the application so they should be able to get some of the parts but unfortunately as we all know the full joints are not available.

Kevin Yutani from Constant Velocity of Ocala Inc. (CVaxles.com) said this is what they can repair
      Disassembled inspected for integrity. New cages, races, balls, boots. Machined, cleaned, painted, reassembled.
      John from CVJ Axles, Inc. (CVJaxles.com) With similar response about replacing 325ix axle shaft cages and ball bearings. They do not oversize the ball bearings or cages. $400/axle + about $44/axle for shipping.

Comment

I assumed it's the cage/bearings that we're missing, not the shafts. I have 2 sets of shafts, they seem to outlast the cars and people know they're valuable so most of them get resold even if the car is scrapped. Maybe that's not the case? It could be they just don't have enough cores. But I know in the past what I've seen is the cages crack (not sure how much the bearings themselves wear, but with cracked cages I'm sure it isn't good for them).

$400/axle isn't cheap but maybe I should do it before even that option is gone, lol.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just had my inner passenger boot tear/crack I think. I noticed a nice pile of grease on the driveway and peaked under and see lots of grease flinging from the inner boot. What is the opinion on driving while grease has been leaking. I happen to be visiting my dad and need to drive 200 miles home today and my 325ix is my only option.

I think will do the drive as it is not an option any other way. After I will remove the axle and send to CVJ Axles. Like nando said
          400/axle isn't cheap but maybe I should do it before even that option is gone, lol.
          I will report back with how the experience and cost was with CVJ Axles

Comment

I wouldn't if you can avoid it. You could try wrapping it in a shit ton of duct tape, but 200 miles is a long way. Damaging that CV joint will be very expensive.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sadly I'll have to drive it I really do have no other options and have to catch a flight tomorrow morning. I'll try some duct tape thanks! Doubt it'll stick w/ all that grease. I'm hoping it wont damage it to a useless point/non repairable.
              Guess I may be in the market for a new front passenger shaft soon lol. Anyone got one willing to ship to CA?
              Regardless I'll ship it to CVJ Axles just willing to see what they say especially with this drive now.

Comment

clean it as best as you can with alcohol or degreaser, especially the stub that goes into the diff. If you can get it clean, and wrap it enough times - it might stick for at least a little while.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X