Weird glue/gum/yellow stuff in engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird glue/gum/yellow stuff in engine bay

I cleaned my engine bay this weekend. ON the driver side strut tower and all over the parts in that section there is a yellow goo almost like a paint over everything. I got most of it off with a steamer but some of it is very stubborn. I have no idea what the material is. Any ideas what it is and how to remove it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	10084512 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	10084513

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710 2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	10084515

Comment

Probably cosmoline residue from the original shipment overseas. It's basically a quick rust preventative.

Allegedly, kerosene (or WD40) removes it, but I've not personally tried on the paintwork.

Comment

see above. the stuff is a wax. 90% isopropyl can take it off with a lot of work. mineral spirits can likely as well.

Comment

Yup, cosmoline. I use it as an "originality" marker when inspecting old bmw's. You'll find it on a lot of older models.

If isopropyl (IPA) doesn't cut it, step up to acetone. However, be sparing as it can affect the paint if you're not careful.

Comment

I've used "extra strength" engine degreaser with some success.

Worst case you can step up to gun cleaner, but don't let it sit on the paint or it will strip it right off.
            Good for those really tough areas though.

Be aware that cleaning off the cosmoline starts you down a rabbit hole for engine bay perfection

Last edited by Panici; 02-15-2023, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

Be aware that cleaning off the cosmoline starts you down a rabbit hole for engine bay perfection
              ^ Sound advice here.
              That's why I've left the factory corrosion protection on my engine bay 'as is'.
              Sure, keep the engine bay clean, but if you're after pristine clean - it's a slippery slope my friend...

That's why I backed away from that rabbit hole.
              E30 320i vert
              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Working...
              X