Sunroof Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunroof Delete

I know this subject pops up from time to time but when doing a search a little of everything comes up. Mostly race cars. I’m thinking of deleting my sunroof. I have had 6 E30 over the years. I think I’ve only opened the sunroof maybe 3 times since my first car in 1986. More for rust repair than anything. I’d like to see photos or read about some properly done sunroof deletes. And if possible some interior shots to show what was the work done on the inside of the car roof after sunroof delete.
    Photos and or details please and thank you.

Find a slicktop car, cut the roof with the headliner, and weld it in place of yours. That's what people do.

Comment

Finding a part out slick top is going to be the key.

Comment

I’ve been restoring mine and getting very familiar with the sunroof. Most of the weight is in the motor (if electric), cables, and of course the roof panel.

To access these guts & remove it all properly is a multi step process. (Editing to add as I have time.)

Start with the sunroof half way back & pull the sunroof headliner panel to un-clip it across the front. I forget if u can get the small headliner off from there or u have to move the sunroof to ‘tilt up’ position. There are yu tube tutorials - here is one: https://youtu.be/HGFvP0pN4GU?si=YZnH3wOuV0JhDpyU

Once headliner panel is pushed back inside the headliner, remove the 3 torx screws on either side, holding the sunroof. I recommend a flexible screwdriver where you can change the screwdriver bits like this one: https://a.co/d/94DdmyE

Next, run the sunroof motor / crank to push the arms back into the roof.

from there you can remove the wind deflector (start where the deflector arms meet the car). Unscrew all the little screws that hold the deflector.

Then I believe it would be time to unscrew the sun visor & pull the weather strip seals from your door to drop that headliner panel.

To lose weight, all that stuff can come out. Start unscrewing & unscrew anything you see from the top to pull it out.

Let me know if you have more questions! 😎
        Last edited by strickland; 03-28-2024, 09:23 AM.
        1989 325is ✨

Comment

Working...
        X