X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!!! Just Fucking WOW!!!!

Comment

This should be required reading for all forum members. I've been through this thread in it's entirety 3 times and am still in awe of this build and the overall attention to detail.

Comment

apparently the M3 is on the road.

http://www.e30owners.com/forums/show...t=4446&page=36

Comment

Must be an update soon, don't know where he would find the time though as I would just be to busy driving that thing everywhere.
          sigpic

Comment

Show us the goods, OP!
            E30 buildy things
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Every time I see this thread has been bumped, I get all hot & bothered. The excitement ends quickly though because no updates :(

Comment

Any updates on this?????

Comment

We know its finished.....SHOW US!!!
                  E30 buildy things
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Have the pic's uploaded and am writing the final update's.
                    Sorry for delay.

Comment

Huzzah!!!
                      971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

I think I just peed in my pants a bit. Can not wait for final chapter.
                        sigpic

Comment

reminded of waiting for next season of Top Gear to air..

agonizing..

(yet worth the wait)
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Appoligies for the few decades that were allowed to pass since the last update.
                            In my defence I've plenty of excuses, a computer anti-virus program that finally scumbed
                            to the continous onslaught of various adult content websites resulting in a dead pc,
                            a broadband connection that's gone so slow it struggles to upload so much as a f**kin smiley face
                            and my own low I.Q. which has me struggling to come to terms with Windows 7 on this new Pc.

However,
                            if the truth be told,
                            the real reason there hasn't been an update in so long is very simple.

The car is finished.

Sorry, waited a long time to type that, so, if you'll indulge me I'd just like to do it again......

THE CAR IS FINISHED.

As I sit here typing the car sits outside in the driveway and has been back in active service now
                            for the last 5 months, during which time I've managed to rack up a grand total of 8560km.
                            Nothing major has fallen off it, there have been no explosions, I've managed to keep her between
                            the ditches so far, and, I've even managed to give her a few battle scars.

The plan for the build thread was always to try and write it as I went along, but,
                            (and apologies for this to those following the story) the plan, and pretty much everything else,
                            went out the window in the final push to get the car over the finish line.

So, now that things have settled down a bit and theres some free time again it's time to dig out
                            the last of the pictures and finish the story off.

Before the break we were trying to get all the components in place for the engine management
                            before the process of wiring it all up could begin. With most of this stuff fitted there was only a
                            few bits left to bolt into place.
                            First of these was the idle control valve.......

The valve pictured above is the standard M3 idle control valve. As you can see from the picture
                            of it's electrical connection, it's a 3 wire valve. Unfortunately the DTA S40 ecu I've choose
                            to use will only run a 2 wire valve, so after a long search for a suitable 2 wire valve the one
                            pictured below was selected as a replacement........

It's from a VR6 Volkswagen Golf and it's Bosch part number is 0280 140 512. Although the VR6
                            has a slightly larger displacement engine than the M3 (2800cc versus 2300cc) the idle control valve
                            should still work fine. The nice thing about the VR6 valve is it's inlet and outlet port sizes are very
                            close to that of the M3's valve, allowing the original pipework to be reused.
                            The new valve was mounted in the same position as the old one after making up a bracket
                            and using the VW's rubber mount........

Once in place the pipework could be fitted to plum the valve in...........

Before we move on to it's operation it's probably work taking a second to mention it's not 100%
                            necessary to run an idle control valve as most aftermarket ECU's can retain a good idle by
                            manipulating the fuel and ignition settings while the engine's running. But having done a little
                            research it certainly seems having an idle control valve may add a little more refinment to idle
                            control especially when the engine is being used in a day to day road car as opposed to an out
                            an out competition car. Some good info here

So, on to how it actually works, or more acurately, how I think it works, which as you are most
                            probably aware by now is, if nothing else, usually worth a laugh for how arseways I manage to grasp it.

Foot off the throttle, all throttle butterflies are practically closed blocking any air from coming
                            into the engine, so how the hell does the engine stay ticking over without any air coming in?
                            The answer is it sneaks in via the idle control valve.

In the picture below you can see the pipework attached to the ICV (idle control valve).
                            The big red arrow shows where the air comes in as this end of the pipe is connected to the air
                            box with a large supply of incoming air............

following the green arrows in the pic above, the air travels down into the ICV which to put
                            it very simply is just an electrically controlled tap. The ecu opens and closes this "tap" rapidly
                            to allow the air to progress through it. The longer the tap is open the more air that can pass
                            through it. You can get a picture of how rapidy this openning and closing takes place by listening
                            to the buzzing sound a working ICV makes. The air thats allowed to pass through the valve
                            continues on to the outlet pipe, which can be just about seen in the pic above.

The air travels up this pipe which passes between throttle body 1 and 2, and takes a 90 degree
                            turn to feed into a small valve sandwiched between the throttle bodies........

This small valve (coloured yellow below) serves two purposes. The first, which we're dealing
                            with here, is to route the incoming air from the ICV into the engine. The air coming up from
                            the ICV on the pipe we've just followed enters into the valve by the port arrowed below........

Once inside the valve it's route is fairly straight forward, the incoming air flows down into the
                            valve and splits up allowing it to flow out both outlet ports......

The air then flows out these outlet ports into "tunnels" cast into the top of each throttle body..........

Comment

The air flows along these tunnels and drops down into the throttle body by way of small
                              drillings in the roof of each individual throttle body.........

As this drilling is on the engine side of that closed throttle butterfly, the ecu now has a way
                              of supplying air to the engine (and hence controlling the idle) while the throttle butterflies are shut..........

As if that wasn't complicated enough theres also another bit of idle circuit pipework thats
                              worth mentioning. This route is the "idle control bypass" circuit and looking at the red route
                              in the picture below should hopefully help show where it's name comes from..........

This red pipe also feeds air up to that yellow valve between the throttle bodies, only differance
                              being it enters through a different port on the underside of the valve. And, as can hopefully be seen
                              in the pic's below, how much air that flows into the engine this route is controlled by a big brass screw..........

I've done quite a bit of searching on this whole set up and I've struggled to find much in the way
                              of an explanation of how it all works. So, if you can keep a secret, I've just made the following up.
                              With the engine running and your foot taken off the loud pedal the throttle is shut and the
                              engine starts to tick over. The engine of coarse still needs air coming in to allow it to tick over,
                              so, the majority of this air needed comes in along the red pipe, bypassing the idle control valve,
                              and heads straight into the engine.
                              The reason all the air needed to idle doesn't come in this way is because the ecu needs to
                              have some control over the idle speed to raise or lower it as it see's fit. So the amount of
                              air coming in this route is limited by that big brass screw.

The rest of the air needed for a stable idle is supplied via the green pipework. This is the air
                              that has to pass through the idle control valve, and, as such, the ecu can directly control how
                              much comes in this route. More air in, higher idle speed (cold starting), less air in,
                              lower idle speed (engine up to temp, doesn't need as much air/fuel to tick over).

Right gotta move on, the bullshit quota for this page has well and truely been exceeded.

Next item to get nailed in was a wideband lambda sensor...........

Shown in the pic above is the sensor itself, the wiring loom and the little red box is
                              the lambda sensor controller. Again this is not something thats critical to run the engine,
                              but it's something I'd decided early on I wanted to include in the management system.

The basic function of the lambda sensor is to send back some information to the ecu on how
                              rich or lean the exhaust gases are, and then having recieved this information the ecu can
                              adjust how much fuel is being injected. This whole circus is commonly refered to as "closed loop",
                              as the lambda sensor is always sending info back info and the ecu is always fine tuning the fuel going in.........

More or less every mass produced pertol engined car on the market today has a lambda sensor
                              hammered into the exhaust to keep the fueling perfect and the one small differance between
                              the sensor they use and the one I'm using above is the range they can read.
                              Almost every mass produced car engine nowadays run a narrow band lambda sensor.
                              The reason they're termed "narrow band" is these type of sensors can only read exhaust
                              gases that are very slightly rich or very slightly lean. They have a narrow range of measurement.
                              However they work just fine in their enviroment as thanks to the hundreds upon hundreds of
                              hours that go into programming the fuel and ignition maps in modern ecu's the exhaust gases
                              rarely stray to far off what they should be and hence the narrow band sensor can read
                              these little fluctuations just fine.

As the brand spanking new ecu I'm using is totally empty when it comes to fuel or
                              ignition maps then I'll be starting from a blank sheet. The air/fuel ratio's are most likely
                              going to be a little all over the place till we can fine tune what works best for producing the
                              most power. We'll also most likely end up having some areas of the rev range running rich
                              to produce optimum power at the expence of fuel consumption and emisions. For this reason
                              the wide band sensor shown above with it's greater range to read both rich and leans
                              mixtures is much more suitable.

The final little note about the sensor above is the little red controller box that comes with it.
                              Some top end, top dollar, aftermarket ecus will allow you to wire the lambda sensor
                              straight into the ecu and the expensive electronic wizardry inside will be able to make
                              sense of the small voltage signals coming in. However most ecu's will need a little controller
                              box like the one shown above between the sensor and the ecu to take in the small voltages
                              from the sensor and convert them to a nice linear 0 to 5 volt signal that the ecu can understand.

Final item to get bolted in was the Ecu itself...........

I decided that the best place for this to sit was where Bmw had decided to bolt the original ecu.........

So using the original ecu as a guide a template was made..........

Comment

Which was then transferred to a piece of aluminium........

which the new ecu and lambda controller could be nailed too......

bolt her in and bingo, all the engine management components were now in place.........

But, before the wiring could begin there was another few items to get fitted,
                                as, although they weren't going to help run the engine their wiring was
                                going to be included in the engine harness.

First up is an oil pressure gauge and sensor............

Took me a while to track this baby down, but I'm glad I persevered.
                                It's a digital oil pressure gauge made by a crowd called Auber Instrements.
                                Auber Instruments, Inc. Automobile Multimeter for EGT, Boost, Red [SYL-1813R] - This digital automobile gauge can be used to measure temperature, pressure and other important parameters, such as battery voltage and air/fuel ratio. Its bright LED display is easy to read from a distance compared to many dim LCD type digital gauges. The programmable alarm will turn on a blue LED in the front panel to get the driver's attention if the temperature/pressure is above the setting point. It will also close a relay output port that can be used to turn on a buzzer, shut off the fuel, or turn on a cooling fan. The meter stores the peak temperature/pressure with time stamps that can be checked later. It can also operate in the peak holding mode so that only the maximum value is displayed. The brightness of the LED display can be synchronized with headlights. When the headlight is turned on at night, the display will be dimmed by the illumination signal. It can also be dimmed directly on the key pad. Developed based on industrial grade instruments, this four digits gauge offers up to 10 times the resolution and accuracy of most 3 digits gauges on the market. The gauge also includes a cold junction compensation circuit to further reduce

It displays the engine oil pressure in psi and has a built in relay that
                                allows you to wire up the low oil warning light on the dash so you
                                can trigger it at a pressure of your choice.
                                The second part is kinda handy as the standard low oil warning light
                                on the M3 lazily illuminates around 6 or 7 psi just in time to inform you
                                your engine is toast, whereas with this new gauge set up we can trigger
                                the low oil pressure light at around 25psi to give you a heads up
                                all might not be well down below in the steam room........

The second item is a beautifuly made Lambda gauge crafted
                                and supplied by George Graves,

The wide band lambda sensor shown earlier will supply a signal
                                to this gauge as well as into the ecu.This hopefully should help me
                                to keep an eye on the air/fuel ratio's and warn if the engine is
                                running overly rich, or more dangerously, overly lean, which will
                                be very handy to know especially in the early days of mapping
                                and running the new ecu.
                                The sweetest part of the gauge for me is it's all constructed inside a
                                standard e30 dash switch which should help keep a slightly lower
                                profile than some other gauges...........

Comment

Working...
                                X