Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS front lip + Duplicolor bumper coating = good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS front lip + Duplicolor bumper coating = good ?

Quick question, can I just take one and spray that on it, or should I primer it?

I don't know if its painted white or not painted at all. I believe its painted. What is the answer in any case?

And clear coat the bumper coating?

depends on how picky you are, but I wouldn't bother with the primer.
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Not very.

Just seeing if anything I need to do besides coat it couple times with Duplicolor bumper treatment, then clear it (??).

Comment

no reason to primer, no reason to clear.

lots of highway mileage later, mine is just dandy
        BEERTECH

Comment

Are you painting it red or black? Reason I ask, black is easier to touch up. On my black car, I used to touch it up all the time with Duplicolor. Just hit it while it was still on the car.
          Problem was, it never lasted long, so I did this fairly often. I did finally spend some time on it, cleaning, sanding, and then sprayed it with some primer. Followed up with a several coats of gloss black, and then coated with a several clear coats. Actually, it held up much much better after that treatment.

My new spoiler (red car) I had prof. sprayed for $60. So far, it is holding up pretty well.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Yeah, I had in the original response I was playing on respraying it several times as necessary. But my plate filler has become faded, so I am about to clear everything I have black.....like grills, etc.

Comment

What is more important than anything is prepping the surface - sand to a smooth finish, then clean up nicely with methanol or something.
              You can clear it if you want - if you use a quality polyurethane enamel it might help against rock chips.
              Again primer or clear is not necessary.

You are gonna get rockchips regardless - if you are willing, it would be easier to just re-paint it everyonce in a while, and you'll always have a shining lip spoiler :D
              ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

if you're doing the spoiler in black, why not use bumper/trim paint, its 10x easier to put on and probably a lot more durable, unless thats what you are using and i'm just too dumb to realize it.
                BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  if you're doing the spoiler in black, why not use bumper/trim paint, its 10x easier to put on and probably a lot more durable, unless thats what you are using and i'm just too dumb to realize it.
                  I think thats what he is using. Deplicolor makes a flexible bumper trim paint, i think thats what he is referring to.
                  ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
                    Originally posted by Rob
                    I think thats what he is using. Deplicolor makes a flexible bumper trim paint, i think thats what he is referring to.
                    Duplicolor Bumper coating = the flexibe rubberized shit.
                    Yeah, it's what I was planning on always.

Just seeing if prime/clear would be benefiticial.

Comment

I wouldnt bother with clear.

bumper paint=flexible. rattle can clear=not flexible unless its special
                      BEERTECH

Comment

honestly, you're painting it flat black, just throw the sucker on the lawn, spray it and be done with it. It's a waste of time and effort to do a perfect job painting it black when nobody will notice it's even on your car. Besides, after 6 months the paint will have sandblasted off and you'll have to respray it anyway..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you used red, did you color match the red? Or just eyeball it and pick a color that's close??

Paint code I think is 308 Brilliantrot Brilliant Red Standard Red 51 91 9 061 860 .

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMeTroy
                            If you used red, did you color match the red? Or just eyeball it and pick a color that's close??

Paint code I think is 308 Brilliantrot Brilliant Red Standard Red 51 91 9 061 860 .
                            if you read the thread, he used a black bumper paint. Goto a paint shop and tell them the paint code, and they will mix a paint for you.
                            ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

I know they CAN mix paint, but it's best to get it color-matched if you want it perfect, because paint fades and oxidizes after about 14 years, so the factory color (paint they mix with out color matching) would be too bright.

Anyway, back to a color close to the red color?? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X