X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVF
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleksey View Post
    By the way I decided not to paint bumper trim and door trim because i figured if somebody scrapes me it will look much worse (even if i wrap those pieces it will probably rip vinyl off)

Opinions? Before it's not too late
    Looking very good so far. Just the inspiration I need before embarking on my own exterior beautification project.

I agree with your thoughts about the trim. I had a buddy SEM his side moldings, and they looked great until some nanny caught him with her SUV door at the stop-n-shop.

There's an old post here I read called 'Zen and E30 maintenance' or something to that effect... He wiped them down with acetone in preparation to paint and found the acetone brought them back to a nice uniform basic color, so he left them as is... Just a thought. Nice work!

EDIT.... It was Simon S, and apparently he sanded the trim with 600 grit and then used acetone to pretty stellar results. It's a long picture intense post, but the information I speak of isn't "too" deep in (bout a quarter way down pg1). lol Great read.

Last edited by KVF; 05-01-2011, 05:53 PM. Reason: link added

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied
    By the way I decided not to paint bumper trim and door trim because i figured if somebody scrapes me it will look much worse (even if i wrap those pieces it will probably rip vinyl off)

Opinions? Before it's not too late

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
    after the first pic I knew you werent married...

good work coming out nice, I have a bunch of spare parts for e34, if you need anything let us know, we dont get much use for them.
    +1

I get a hard time even when I keep parts in the workshop where they belong.

Leave a comment:

• Harry's E30
    replied
    cant wait to see it when its finished

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied
    Thanks ^

Update below, did not really seriously prep bottom of the bumper because it will get messed up anyways, both grill/bumpers are coated in primer + flat black enamel + plastic dip on top for extra durability plus PD is a better color match to vinyl.

I will wrap top corner of bumper in vinyl but leave everything under with just plastic dip.

Will not paint/touch bumper/door covers as I don't feel confortably redoing them every time somebody bumps into me.

Leave a comment:

• Alpine30 Wolf
    replied
    Last picture of the hood looks sick! Nice job man

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied
    Went to town with Adhesion promoter/liner on sun roof scoop thinking it's Adhesion removal ... I think I need to take a break.

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied
    Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
    so are you spraying the car with paint than then laying that fabric over it or does the fabric peal on and leaved a flat look?
    The car I have is black, the donor parts from the swap car had minimal rust but were in green and had few dings here and there. I'm simply sanding down all the doors, fixing rust/body work and priming/protective coating in flat black paint before I wrap it.

The flat black paint is just something I used on top of primer to cover it up and give it extra layer of protection.

Edit: Also had to match insides of the door with that paint forgot that was one of the reasons
    Last edited by Aleksey; 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cabriolet
    replied
    so are you spraying the car with paint than then laying that fabric over it or does the fabric peal on and leaved a flat look?

Leave a comment:

• Aleksey
    replied
    Thanks guys, I might have to keep my current lights until I get the gasket for the ones in the picture but that's the plan! Totally agree about not blacking it out that would be tacky

Originally posted by june3o View Post
    What's the rubber coating for? sorry I don't know any of this stuff and I'm planning on paint my car flat black...
    Honestly, if you are going to rattle can it without wrap on top it will not look that good in the sun. Flat black tends to show everything (granted I did not clear coat it). Just my 2 cents.

Regarding rubber coating, it's basicly a spray can of 'melted' rubber that will become a rubbery substance (think plastic-dip but more rubbery). In this project (I think I have ADD) I went all out in rust prevention and rubber coating is what I use on the inside of the panels after spraying convertor on it for an extra layer of protection.

That said and done, I have been busy wrapping doors for Sunday:

This one came out perfect, but only after 5 hours of other attempts. Got the procedure down now :letitout:

Leave a comment:

• june3o
    replied
    Even with low mileage E34 doors already rusting, sand it, convert it and coat it with rubberized coating. You think your body shop will do it when you are getting a paint job?
    What's the rubber coating for? sorry I don't know any of this stuff and I'm planning on paint my car flat black...

Leave a comment:

• Beej '86 325es
    replied
    This is going to be awesome.
    I dig the red tails. Keep 'em, don't black them out.

Leave a comment:

• be34st
    replied
    Hell yeah Meguiar's Quick Detailer is magic in a bottle. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_S
    replied
    Lookin good!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X