Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many have completely stripped down to the metal and painted their car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many have completely stripped down to the metal and painted their car?

I am in need of a paint job but I feel like I should do it the right way. Take apart everything, strip to the metal and then paint. I wanna hear from any that have done this (besides jordan). Im thinking in the 3k-5k $$ range depending on how much work I do myself. How long of a project is this? Any words of warning or suggestions?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

3-5k range? you mean to strip it down and have someone else paint your car?

Its very short between stripping it to bare metal and laying down etch primer and your first coat of primer. There isnt a whole lot of time before the surface starts to rust, its basically sand/strip it all back, prep the surface to remove any residue, lay down the etch primer, then while it is still tacky, lay down a coat of your normal primer. If you get yourself sorted, its a next day kind of thing.

As for how long? well you could do it all easily in the space of a week if you had some decent air tools.

If you are going to prep it at home, dont bother with sandblasting, either use orbitals and high grit pads, belt sanders or paint stripper. Even with the interior stripped you will continue to find sand popping up everywhere.

If you go back to bare metal make sure you spend plenty of time getting the body straight, you really wont have another chance and its really going to be obvious if you have imperfections once you start spraying.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

My euro is stripped to nothing now - I was planning on doing the same thing.

It's a pretty challenging job getting the body straight - I wouldn't trust myself to do it. If I were going to continue with the euro chassis, I'd bring it as is to a shop and let them take it from here.

Comment

if I were you I wouldn't go all the way past the factory primer, unless your paint is really bad and there is rust.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
          My euro is stripped to nothing now - I was planning on doing the same thing.

It's a pretty challenging job getting the body straight - I wouldn't trust myself to do it. If I were going to continue with the euro chassis, I'd bring it as is to a shop and let them take it from here.
          Are you still doing the euro project? I thought the cabrio was replacing that for some reason.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
            Are you still doing the euro project? I thought the cabrio was replacing that for some reason.
            You're right - that's why I said if I were going to continue with it ;)

The cabbie=daily driver

87 es=track car.

No need for the euro - may decide to clean and primer the shell to help sell it.

Comment

the body on my car is in pretty good condition. i was quoted $2500cdn w/o tax.
              i had to provide new front and rear window locks, sunroof, and trunk and they were going to strip the car down, fix anything that needs to be fixed sand it down to almost bare and respray. they were not going to touch the engine bay, trunk, or interior since it'll be painted the same colour again.

Comment

How nice do you want it to look? When it comes to paint work its all about how you want it to look. $3k is a really cheep daily driver job (it will look nice but you are not going to win any awards wtih it), 6k is a nice job that you will be proud of, 9k is one you can take to car shows and do well, 10k+ your not going todo on an E30.

Originally posted by DaveCN
                Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

Originally posted by grapedrink
                  How nice do you want it to look? When it comes to paint work its all about how you want it to look. $3k is a really cheep daily driver job (it will look nice but you are not going to win any awards wtih it), 6k is a nice job that you will be proud of, 9k is one you can take to car shows and do well, 10k+ your not going todo on an E30.
                  $300 - maaco special - drops the panties of college girls, because they can't tell the difference :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                    $300 - maaco special - drops the panties of college girls, because they can't tell the difference :rofl:
                    Yeah, until they find out you didn't pay $30k for the car, and that it's 20 years old.

Those panties fly back up their legs faster than you can say "but it's still a BMW..."

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                      Yeah, until they find out you didn't pay $30k for the car, and that it's 20 years old.

Those panties fly back up their legs faster than you can say "but it's still a BMW..."
                      I'll have already finished by then ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X