School me on Mtech 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Mtech 2

I have a 1991 convertible that has the early bumpers but from what I've been told due to being a convertible it accepts the Mtech 2 kit pretty easily.

If the above is indeed correct - can someone confirm if this is what i need to to convert to Mtech 2 front & rear? Also what should this cost and possible vendors (good quality)?
    • MTech 2 one piece
      late model rebar
      late model front bumper shocks
      foglights
      late model metal valance
      rear Mtech bumoper

Thanks!

Easily? no. By the time you facelift your vert and source all of the parts, it will be time consuming, costly and labor intensive, then after all that it still wouldn't be a factory M tech car. Unless you are okay with that and attached to your car, I would just look for a factory fitted M tech car.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Easily? no. By the time you facelift your vert and source all of the parts, it will be time consuming, costly and labor intensive, then after all that it still wouldn't be a factory M tech car. Unless you are okay with that and attached to your car, I would just look for a factory fitted M tech car.
      Appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately in Canada real Mtech cars are not readily available. Even regular E30s that aren't rusted to hell are hard to find.

I am not worried about the authenticity of the mods/car. i just want to update it by removing the diving board bumpers but still keep it OEM. I don't think i'll be the 1st E30 to install the Mtech bumpers as such i'm hoping someone with experience can provide some guidance.

Thanks!

Comment

OP, you are better off sourcing an 88+ coupe if you are insisting on running an MT2 kit.
        Everything is far simpler, as the vert will require far more fabrication to make it work.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
          OP, you are better off sourcing an 88+ coupe if you are insisting on running an MT2 kit.
          Everything is far simpler, as the vert will require far more fabrication to make it work.
          I decided against the MT2 kit and I'm just going with the late model valance and plastic bumper. Aside from bolting on the late model shocks, rebar and removing the tow hook it's pretty much a straight swap. I'll add an IS lip as well to finish off the look.

Thank you for chiming in!

Comment

Hey man I also have an e30 vert and not sure if I should do an mtech 2 or a is valance. Did you ever finish the swap? Let me know how it went if possible, thanks man Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to thread jack but I also have a question. I have a late model vert and already has plastic bumpers. I’m already in possession of oem Mtech skirts and pods that are specific to verts. My question is in regards to the front and rear bumper and valence etc is there a vert specific or would a coupe front bumper etc for also?

Comment

So glad i found this forum and thread!! To keep in line with the topic and question like the above member, i just acquired a 1987 coupe.... date of manufacture was 02/87 so I believe it to be an 'early model'....it has no rear valance. I think it looks so off and was wondering if the late model rears would work better than this very kit I was also considering.

Comment

Originally posted by joewhy2k View Post
                  Not to thread jack but I also have a question. I have a late model vert and already has plastic bumpers. I’m already in possession of oem Mtech skirts and pods that are specific to verts. My question is in regards to the front and rear bumper and valence etc is there a vert specific or would a coupe front bumper etc for also?
                  The only difference between MT2 coupe and MT2 convertible kits are the sideskirts and sideskirts clips. Everything else is the same.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Dapper View Post
                    So glad i found this forum and thread!! To keep in line with the topic and question like the above member, i just acquired a 1987 coupe.... date of manufacture was 02/87 so I believe it to be an 'early model'....it has no rear valance. I think it looks so off and was wondering if the late model rears would work better than this very kit I was also considering.
                    Your 87 is indeed an "early" model... the better ones IMO.

If yours is a 325iS with the 'cowcatcher' front you should begin searching for something like a Zender early model kit. Can get some side skirts and a rear valence that will really finish off that front heavy look. If its a regular model, you could get a full mtech1 kit, much better than the mtech2 IMO and made for your model.

Welcome and congrats! Post in the members rides when you get it, Im always curious to see what happens to the BaT cars when their new owners get em. Glad you found R3V!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                    X