My poor poor rust car. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My poor poor rust car. What to do?

What do you think vote after you see the pics.

Passenger side rear near trunk

Passenger side rear wheelwell

Passenger rear rocker

Passenger rearview mirror

Passenger front rocker

Hood (also notice the dent)

Drivers front rocker

Drivers rear rocker

Trunk lid

Rear Plate
    Sand and repaint the spots myself before winter.
    41.67%
    Sand and repaint the spots myself in the spring.
    0.00%
    Get the car completely repainted in the Spring.
    12.50%
    Just forget about it and make it a fast beater.
    33.33%
    Get the spots professionally done.
    12.50%
    Last edited by doucy2; 10-24-2006, 07:07 PM.

Rob

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Approximate (estimated) book value of your car = ~$2200
      Approximate (estimated) cost for a proper paint job = ~$2200+
      (yeah there are cheap-ass paint jobs available – but is a cheap-ass job worth the time and money?)
      Approximate (estimated) book value of car after paint job = ~$3000

Would angle for complete paint job over just having spots done for uniformity’s sake.

Would not recommend trying to ‘catch’ an already corroded e30. (although- there doesn’t seem to be any nasty holes..)

At a bare minimum, I’d scuff the spots and spray with some variant of rust inhibitor before winter hits. (damage control)

If you have the means, tools, facilities, and time to do a full paint job yourself – then this provides a great/worth-while project. (oh. wait. sanding sucks.)

Be realistic. The car is now [somewhat] rusty. Unless you plan to store the car through winters and really baby it, it will continue to rust.
      Drink beer.

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I'd say buy a cheap car with a straight body and watch 2 become 1.
        sigpic

Comment

Well I dont even have a garage to park my baby in :(, i have a little shelted shed but no climate control and it's not very accessable. Also my painting, sandings skills are very very limited. (I would not be able to do it up right myself.) On another note the PO does body - paint work and told me he would do the whole car in the same color and remove the dents in the spring for $800. What do you think.

Comment

I'd say if the po really could do the work for cheap he would have and sold it for more than he sold it to you.

If you can sand/get some rust inhibitor on the worst parts that is what I suggest.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

whats a good brand of rust inhibitor? i dont care how the car looks through the winter :), i just dont want it rusting anymore. also where can i get matching paint for the car?

Comment

Ask Josh/Eurospeed. He is the resident paint guru :)

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (www.eastwoodco.com)
                  POR-15 and KBS (Klean Blast Seal) RustSeal (www.rustymetalpaint.com).

Check Ebay for starter kits for either POR-15 or KBS. They include a few brushes, gloves, paint, degreaser, and etch solution. It's an easy and convenient way to touch up the small spots of rust you have.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Buy a real car

Comment

Considering the fact that all the rocker damage could and probably is structural, just painting over it is NOT the answer. If it is rusting that bad, there are other problems you can't see. Best bet is to find a car that doesn't have much rust. Sorry.

Comment

get another car. even if it was worth repairing the body damage, everything mechanical is going to be rusted just as badly. it probably looks much worse underneath than it does on the outside..
                        Last edited by nando; 10-25-2006, 04:50 PM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

wow no hope :( thanks for the input guys, i realy am falling in love with this m42 too.

Comment

Screw it. Give it some juice.

Comment

Man, I do not think it is THAT bad. I mean, it is not good - but you can fix it...it is only time and money. :)
                              '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X