Roller paint job part II... ///M graphics *pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roller paint job part II... ///M graphics *pics*

So I decided to put the ///M stripes on my trunk and hood. Here's a little writeup on how I did it. All the pics are of the piant DRY. I just have to figure out how to protect it...

Started out with my white trunk, as you all know, is rollered.

I started taping off the edge with Blue painters tape (which actually worked really well) I decided to use the width of the stripe to be the width of the tape. (2 or 3 inches i think)

I went to home depot and got REAL lucky and found the exact colors i was looking for. At the end of the project, i realized I had made the right choice! Since it's rustoleum as well as everythign I've been using, i think that it will adhere really well to my scuffed, wetsanded surface...
    The colors are Navy blue, sky blue and red.

Taped off just for the middle stripe (navy blue) and lightly primed the surface.

Here is the navy blue. it looks much darker with another coat or 2 on it.

The blue masking tape worked really well with no paint-creeping and didn't pull up any white paint when i removed the tape!

This was a little tricky as I painted the 2 outside stripes at the same time. I could have done them individually, but i wanted to save some time. I waited for the middle stripe to dry completely, then put blue painters tape on top of it (it didn't pull any paint when i took the tape off later)
    Here are a few views of what I did.

Started painting the sky blue and red...

Pulled the tape off this morning after a night of drying. It's really glossy and there is no run inthe paint from removing the tape. I'm reallyimpressed and now I need to scuff the whole surface (wetsand) and polish it and i'm good.

The thing is, i have to put my spoiler on it too, so i'm going to size up my spoiler and continue the stripes over it. I don't know how that's going to turn out, but if you take your time and prep, it's not too bad. Here are some more shots...

I"m going to take that stripe and run it down my quarter panel as well, but not for a while as I haven't even started painting the actual car yet.

Thanx guys. I'm open to all flaming, but I gotta tell you, i'm really happy with the results.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

First attempt, looks good that's what practice is for right. Your car right? rock it the way you want it, as you have to drive it not us mugs.

Comment

Pretty SCHWEET
      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Thanx
        I think that in order to protect it, i'm going to wetsand the whole thing down and then use an oil-based clear coat and give it one good coat rollered. I think that will give it a nice uniform look and feel.
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Dude, that looks freakin awesome!!
          I would have had the stripes go the other way though... ///
          for ///M, you know? or am I just crazy. Either way, the colors are GREAT!!
          Slicktop City!

Comment

oh shit you're right, I didn't think of that!. no difference. I got sooooo lucky with the colors..

I was going to do the german flag instead. the yellow/red/black, but yellow wouldn't show up nice on the white.
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Frank, I am not sure how I like those personally.

I was traumatized by 70's graphics, so now all graphics look terrible to me.

How many coats are you going to do? I assume you wetsanded carefully under the spray.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have a question, I contacte the rustoleum dealer in Chile, and they don't sell the protective enamel.

They offered me an acrylic based glossy white enamel.

Will that do the trick ????

I am at a loss here, they carry the industrial line, the one you are using is part of the consumer line here, that was sold by home depot, but they went out of business in Chile.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Frank, I am not sure how I like those personally.

I was traumatized by 70's graphics, so now all graphics look terrible to me.

How many coats are you going to do? I assume you wetsanded carefully under the spray.

Luke
                  hahaha, I can take that. I was born in 82, so i'm not afraid of the graphics. I had never thought of it that way acutally. I"m putting about 2 coats on it and then see how it goes. I was going to put a coat of clear on top of the whole trunk, but i'm going to play this one by ear.
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

looks sweet... nice and shiney, i wish my black would of turned out like that but it had a haze in it. The stripes look cool also.

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

What'd you use to thin the rustoleum with? It said on the can to use Acetone, everyone told me not to, but i did anyway and it took literally days to dry. I used oderless mineral spirits like someone suggested and if i touch spray paint on it the paint reacts, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
                        What'd you use to thin the rustoleum with? It said on the can to use Acetone, everyone told me not to, but i did anyway and it took literally days to dry. I used oderless mineral spirits like someone suggested and if i touch spray paint on it the paint reacts, bad.
                        I am gonna guess that you did not read this?

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Application technique is critical, as you have to have a "feel" for how much to thin the paint and you HAVE TO use Mineral Spirits, NOT PAINT THINNER like varsol.

I read it, i even went against what it said because i read the can.

Comment

You guys interested in doing a roller paint job might want to check out part 2 of the original moparts thread:

Paint job on a budget Part 2: Aussie Driver's black miata

Seems the paint getting the best results is Interlux "Brightside" boat paint. Rolls out with a very high gloss and is not necessary to thin with mineral spirits, though a little thinning will help it level better.

For Pictures check out these posts by: Aussie Driver, Exit1965, MontanaMan, and Marq

They are starting to get some pretty impressive results, I may try this on my truck.

Comment

Frank, you're doing a fucking amazing job, and I think it's awesome that you had the balls to attempt this job with your own car. Excellent work.

Comment

Working...
                              X