G*ddamn Shadowlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G*ddamn Shadowlining

I did an off-the-car shadoline job last weekend. Took out the trim, sanded it good w/ 600 grit paper, hit it with SEM self-etching primer, and covered it with SEM trim paint. It looked PERFECT. I let it dry for 24 hours and put it in the car.

Today, I get home from work and see multiple postage sized areas where the paint has come off, revealing shiny chrome. I wanted to scream. The worst part is that one of the areas is on the rear side window of my 1991 2-door (without popouts). That window was a BITCH to remove and paint.

Where did I go wrong?
    sigpic
    1988 M3 - Summer Toy
    1991 325i - Soon to be sold...
    2001 Audi B5 S4 Avant - Daily Driver

Did you scuff the chrome first, so that it had a dull finish?

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I think I might just go ghetto, and use the shadowline tape on my volvo as a guineau pig.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBrain View Post
        multiple postage sized areas where the paint has come off, revealing shiny chrome.
        If the chrome is still shiny then it probably didn't get scuffed enough before paint. Also 600grit may not be giving the paint enough of a bite. You could try 320 or 400 instead before you do primer.

Make sure the surface has been cleaned with wax and grease remover and had time to evaporate before your first coat. I'd also try an adhesion promoter as well such as Bulldog Adhesion Promoter.

If all else fails then perhaps getting them powder coated satin black is an option as well.

Good luck, keep us updated.

-edit- I was just reading that a Zinc Chromate Primer is best for proper adhesion with aluminum. Anyone have any experience with Zinc Chromate Primer? It looks like it can be bought at marine supply stores.
        Last edited by td325ic; 03-22-2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I didn't primer mine at all and it's held up fine. there are some tiny pits from rock chips but no big flakes.. just scuffed and cleaned and then shot them with SEM trim paint.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I wonder if primer is even necessary with this kind of paint. Is it possible that this trim specific paint doesn't need primer ?? Sorry if this sounds dumb. I just thought it might be a possibility.

-Chris
            Big Brain- "The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving earth for no raison!"

- California Certified Smog Technician -

Comment

Though the trim specific paint is for "trim", I dont think its for this kind of trim. Its for a flat trim, I believe. I couldnt get anything to stick either really. The krylon plastic fusion paint worked ok, the best actually ended up being the dupli-color wheel coating. It comes out a little rough, so I sprayed one coat, sanded it smooth, then used any black after that.
              Originally posted by blunt
              i would jerk larry king off while tonging jflips ass if h0lmes would blow his head off

Comment

1.remove trim
                2.scuff the shit out of trim
                3.self-etching primer
                4.FILLER PRIMER!
                5.black

Comment

The best solution is to buy the 318is trim. You won't have a problem with it flaking off.

ohh, I just realized you are up in the city. I think I still have a set of 318is rear quarter windows that already have the black trim...

-Erik

Comment

^^^ What he said. 318is trim is the way to go. You could try painting them again, but do you really want to go through the hassle of all that just to have to do it again later?

You could also get them powder coated. ;)

Comment

I did exactly what you did - removed trim, scuffed (until trim was dull), self-etch primer, SEM trim paint. Held up fine for about 6 months until I got the bright idea to use blue painters tape to mask off the trim while I was cleaning/polishing/waxing the car. It pulled spots up all over the trim. I used paint stripper, cleaned off all the old paint. Resanded, re primed with self-etch, then repainted with SEM Trim. Has held up about 8 months with no problems - through a very rough Ohio winter (road salt, etc).
                      Aaron

Comment

Follow-up - what was the air temp when you painted the trim?
                        Aaron

Comment

Working...
                        X