X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanktheory
    replied
    Any detail guru's in the New England area who like beer and food that wanna teach someone how to detail properly?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Tasty
    replied

this is what my single stage zinnoberot looks like after I have corrected the paint.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Tasty
    replied
    most likely need to compound and polish before you wax. To remove any wax residues before buffing, use dawn soap and put some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) in there. Again, it is hard to decipher with out pictures.

Leave a comment:

• david2991
    replied
    Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
    post pics. The paint coming off from you buffing is an indicator that you have a single stage paint. there are two types of paints, single and, and second stage. Single stage paints are harder, and is an older way of painting cars. Just what it sounds like, just paint. Second stage has a soft paint level, and a harder clear coat level. What wax are you using?
    Ok I've been told before it possibly may be a single stage paint so that makes sense. Next time I get to put something on the paint and a light buff i'll snap a picture to show what I'm trying to explain. I have tried a Meguiars basic wax, dunno specific name. Also, any type of spray shine products and car soap+wax product has the same effect. To the point that I have to rewash the care to get rid of the smearing look. Pics would help me solve the problem with the knowledge base so i'll work on that first. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Tasty
    replied
    Originally posted by david2991 View Post
    Alright, this seems the appropriate knowledge base upon which to throw my inquiries. 86' 325, I wash my car all the time, but have never been able to wax it due to possibly the condition of the paint. I have tried to apply a couple different types of waxes to the clean car and they never come off during the buffing phase. If I apply any type of wax, it is almost as if the mixture of wax compound and the paint produces an oil slick look. Another wash is the only thing that gets the wax off effectively. Also I can see paint rub off on a microfiber towel when buffing which is perplexing to me, therefore I stopped attempting to wax small portions. Any suggestions on the condition of my paint and why it will not except a wax product? I'm no paint detailing guru so any advice would be well accepted.
    post pics. The paint coming off from you buffing is an indicator that you have a single stage paint. there are two types of paints, single and, and second stage. Single stage paints are harder, and is an older way of painting cars. Just what it sounds like, just paint. Second stage has a soft paint level, and a harder clear coat level. What wax are you using?

Leave a comment:

• david2991
    replied
    Alright, this seems the appropriate knowledge base upon which to throw my inquiries. 86' 325, I wash my car all the time, but have never been able to wax it due to possibly the condition of the paint. I have tried to apply a couple different types of waxes to the clean car and they never come off during the buffing phase. If I apply any type of wax, it is almost as if the mixture of wax compound and the paint produces an oil slick look. Another wash is the only thing that gets the wax off effectively. Also I can see paint rub off on a microfiber towel when buffing which is perplexing to me, therefore I stopped attempting to wax small portions. Any suggestions on the condition of my paint and why it will not except a wax product? I'm no paint detailing guru so any advice would be well accepted.

Leave a comment:

• mcskibadee1
    replied
    Cool, So do you think that backing they are selling at Cali car cover is ok?

Leave a comment:

• Vivek
    replied
    Oh yep, then that's what you need. There are both male and female ones for different buffers.

Leave a comment:

• mcskibadee1
    replied
    Mine looks like it would need something to screw in to like this.

This is local to me, what about this? http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=2975&cid=249

Are they all pretty much the same or am I making a mistake not going with lake country?
    Last edited by mcskibadee1; 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vivek
    replied
    You're gonna need one of these.

Leave a comment:

• mcskibadee1
    replied
    So i just purchased my own porter cable 6'' polisher and some ccs cutting pads from autogeek.net. It looks like I need an attachment to the porter cable to use the pads, they look like they have soft backing that might work with velcro. Does anyone know if I ordered the wrong parts or what attachment I can use for the 6.5'' pads?

Leave a comment:

• Eurospec
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamPlaysDrums View Post
    Does a detailing clay bar work more or less like a rubbing compound? I had serious paint oxidation, and I used 3M Advanced Auto rubbing compound and then Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the paint (original Brilliantrot) looks fantastic. Did I miss a step with the bar though?
    Claying removes contaminants from the paint and should always be done when completing a thorough detail. It ensures that your paint is nice and clean before continuing with polish/wax.

Leave a comment:

• AdamPlaysDrums
    replied
    Does a detailing clay bar work more or less like a rubbing compound? I had serious paint oxidation, and I used 3M Advanced Auto rubbing compound and then Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and the paint (original Brilliantrot) looks fantastic. Did I miss a step with the bar though?

Leave a comment:

• Eurospec
    replied
    I should be in town next week. I'll forward you my contact info via PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcskibadee1
    replied
    ahhh, thanks for the help eurospec! I am going to get an order together of items I need so maybe if you are available next weekend I could meet up?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X