Door Rust -- need some input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Rust -- need some input!

So finally addressing some door rust on my ol' silver box and need some input for the next course of action... From the looks of, the rust is somewhat moderate, but hasn't really gone through the metal entirely just yet.. Anyone with more body work experience, is any of this still fixable or would you just look at replacing the door all together?

pics in post below
    Post with 1 views. door rust
    Last edited by othatseric; 02-23-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

New doors would be your best bet.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The best bet is another door or a skin replacement. However, if this is more of a daily and less of a show car I'd strip the rust back and apply converter from both the inside of the door and the outside then seal it up with whatever epoxy treatment you prefer. Follow that with paint and you should be okay, but you will always have to keep an eye on it.

If you go with option two, be sure your plastic door seal is in good shape or just replace it, make sure your drains are fully functional, and do a yearly winterization treatment on the entire car to prevent more damage.

Comment

Wire wheel it, see what you actually have there. If it's just surface rust you can paint over it with an appropriate product, if you have holes, you'll need to decide between metal replacement or a new door.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            The best bet is another door or a skin replacement. However, if this is more of a daily and less of a show car I'd strip the rust back and apply converter from both the inside of the door and the outside then seal it up with whatever epoxy treatment you prefer. Follow that with paint and you should be okay, but you will always have to keep an eye on it.

If you go with option two, be sure your plastic door seal is in good shape or just replace it, make sure your drains are fully functional, and do a yearly winterization treatment on the entire car to prevent more damage.
            Definitely not a show car lol. I bought a bottle of permetex rust converter cause I heard and read some good things about and how fast it works. I'm nervous more so if I happen to miss a small spot after sealing and painting etc.. and it gets worse :/

Comment

Corroseal is an awesome product. Converts and primes in a coupe coats after removing the flaky stuff. Superior to a por15 kit.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My personal opinion is new doors are your best bet , I would look for same color doors and bolt them on however might look like a different color on the outside do to how the new (new to you) door was treated in it's old life etc ( garage kept vs outside under a tree). If you get the doors in same color if you have it painted in the future it will be cheaper since they dont have to paint the jambs. And BTW the rust in your picture is rusting from inside out so a skin wouldn't be a great option. The reason is for belt moldings/window moldings being cracked and letting water sit in the bottom of the doors.
                PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Working...
                X