Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to make clear coat look better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do to make clear coat look better?

My son and I have matching Alpine White 1989 cabriolets. His came from Hawaii and the clear coat has peeled off in places. Is there any DIY trick we could use to get the rest off and then paint correct underneath?

I was under the impression that once the peeling starts you can only sand at that point. Id suggest 1-2k sand paper, if its completely gone you can try applying new clear coat to the panel/ issue spots.
    I am not an expert though.
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

what Slybeanx said , 89 was Alpinwess 2 I belive which unfortunately is a Base coat / Clear coat application compared to Alpinewess 1 which is single stage and can be polished but to confirm get the paint code off the strut tower under the hood. With that being said if it is base coat clear coat you can try to polish but if clears gone you'll need new clear. Pictures might help 📷
      PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Originally posted by Mpolito3355 View Post
        what Slybeanx said , 89 was Alpinwess 2 I belive which unfortunately is a Base coat / Clear coat application compared to Alpinewess 1 which is single stage and can be polished but to confirm get the paint code off the strut tower under the hood. With that being said if it is base coat clear coat you can try to polish but if clears gone you'll need new clear. Pictures might help 📷
        I was afraid of that, you can actually see flakes of clear separating.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

I was afraid of that, you can actually see flakes of clear separating.
          Yea man sorry =/ thats OK I need clear too =) lol
          PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

My car is from Hawaii as well. And the clear is peeling on the mirrors and 3rd brake light(cabrio). It’s Zinnerbrot, so I’m afraid no easy solutions. Assuming just painting those pieces but matching the old would be a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              My car is from Hawaii as well. And the clear is peeling on the mirrors and 3rd brake light(cabrio). It’s Zinnerbrot, so I’m afraid no easy solutions. Assuming just painting those pieces but matching the old would be a nightmare
              The car is in Massachusetts. I have unoriginal license plate frame from BMW Maui in the basement. Pretty cool actually.
              I used Mequires ultimate compound and now everything looks so much better. More clear coat came off so overall, it is tolerable.

Comment

Ive had this conversation with body shops and every one, without exception, says you cannot lay new clear on old paint and expect good results.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                X