Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

washing engnie bay

This:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Can you reall just blast this shit on an M20?

what areas should I avoid? they are spraying it straight into the ALTERNATOR!

Need to clean

That shit wont clean up a 20 year old engine bay
    Get your self some spray on household degreaser and some rags and have at it for a few hours

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
      That shit wont clean up a 20 year old engine bay
      Get your self some spray on household degreaser and some rags and have at it for a few hours
      What about gunk and a pressure washer. Is it safe to use a pressure washer on an engine?

Comment

Castrol Super Clean, let soak for 15 minutes, and hit it with a pressure washer. Repeat if needed and then allow to dry out for 24 hours.

Been using this method for years without any issues and it makes the engine bay look spectacular. Though it will expose any weakness in any of your sensors. (ie. CPS)

Comment

simple green degreaser

The Build:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
            simple green degreaser
            Agreed, Simple Green works great!

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
              Agreed, Simple Green works great!
              +1 I just bought another gallon of it. For max degreasing use straight concentrate.
              balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

Comment

What is a good an effective way to remove the cosmolene?

Comment

Some of those degreasers are not that great for aluminum, which there is a lot of on our engines. Aluminum will dull with things like oven cleaner, simple green, most of the purple cleaners, etc. I wouldn't hose everything down like that personally, but I've seen it done. There's a detail shop in my town that steam cleans truck engines and it comes out beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by 84driver View Post
                    +1 I just bought another gallon of it. For max degreasing use straight concentrate.
                    I've used every different degreaser on the market and in my own experience Castrol Super Clean in pure concentrate beats Simple Green, Greased Lighting and Purple Power hands down.

Originally posted by OnMy2ndE30 View Post
                    What is a good an effective way to remove the cosmolene?
                    For really touch stuff on unpainted metal surfaces (or painted surfaces you plan on repainting) I used aircraft paint remover.

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                    Some of those degreasers are not that great for aluminum, which there is a lot of on our engines. Aluminum will dull with things like oven cleaner, simple green, most of the purple cleaners, etc. I wouldn't hose everything down like that personally, but I've seen it done. There's a detail shop in my town that steam cleans truck engines and it comes out beautiful.
                    This is true. You do not want any other these de-greasers sitting on aluminum parts longer than 15 minutes as they promote electrolysis and flash corrosion. A steam cleaner would be idea if you have access to one but unfortunately an industrial steam cleaner isn't a practical buy for people who occasionally clean their engine bays.

Comment

run your engine for about 10 mins. turn off engine.
                      spray with simple green degreaser. start scrubbing if really dirty.
                      then power wash avoiding the spark plug section and alternator.

cheap version of steam engine cleaning.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                      ---------------------------------
                      89 E30 S52
                      ---------------------------------
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Working...
                      X