CF/FRP Hood Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CF/FRP Hood Fitment

Guys, what is the latest on the fitment/weight of the VIS / Carbon Creations / Ireland / DTM Fiber Werks / etc hoods??
    The hood is for a GTS2 car, so it needs to be light, but can't bow up in the middle at speeds. Anyone have track experience with a LTW hood?

Thanks,
    Rob

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

get the VAC motorsports one.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

My hood works just fine on track,no lifting,shaking or any other weirdness.It fits ok,but pinches at the rear corners a little,compared to a stock hood and saves about 20 lbs.All the stock hinges and bolts work fine.Its a VIS IIRC.
      1990 325is "the rat"/ E30 Warsteiner tribute racecar/1985 325e "faded Glory"/ 1968 Chevy II Nova "the baby"/ 2001 525i 5spd purchased May 2013 with 16k miles. Plus other junk that annoys the neighbors.

Comment

I had a IE pin on hood skin that was under 15lbs. It did lift in the middle on the straights so I added some reinforcement across the front (wish I had a pic, sorry). You could also add a 3rd pin up front to solve the problem.

Comment

if you don't care about looks, they fit the car basically.

the VIS ones are heavy - it's just a FG hood with a CF overlay. And like 10lbs of gel coat...

if you want quality, it's going to cost. I don't think MA Shaw makes a full CF E30 hood anymore, but competition concepts does I think.

My MA Shaw is 10lbs. I think they have a FG/Composite one that weighs about the same. If you're painting it anyway, it probably doesn't matter much what the material is. Mine fits perfectly.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The MA Shaw site still lists one, but with a urethane core for 750.

Comment

Yeah, they used to offer one that was 100% CF for around $900.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

$950. 12lbs. "Special urethane core construction for light, yet extremely rigid composition"

lol.

the competition concepts piece looks very high quality. $999. 10lbs.

AWD > RWD

Comment

I got a deal on a used but never mounted DTMfiberwerkz CFRP hood. The company says it weighs 16 lbs. which feels about right but I never weighed it. It fits fairly well but appears a little narrower than stock but I haven't measured the difference. Finish is fine but I will definitely end up painting it body color some day.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X