windshield part help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield part help

What parts do I need to replace the piece circled in this picture?

Is this the right thing:
    Part #51-31-1-884-402-M9

'windshield moulding, chrome' from Pelican Parts, here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

I am a little confused because the part online is chrome, but the part on my car is a black gasket with some kind of plastic piece in the middle that is now rust colored.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

just replaced this. the window seal is two pieces, a black rubber, and a chrome plastic seal that locks the rubber seal in place. The back consists of one rubber and two separate chrome lock strips. i got mine from the dealer (for an arm and a leg) but ive heard pelicans parts are fine.

They turn brown because the chrome has a plastic seal over it and that eventually gets eaten by the sun.

Comment

or you can get a black plastic lock strip that won't get destroyed by the sun and is reusable...
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I believe early cars and verts have chrome lock strips and late cars have black ones. From what I understand they are interchangeable on the front glass.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks everyone! I ordered the parts.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with safelite replacing the windshield and just using a generic seal?

OP, thought about this route?
            1997 Artic Silver M3
            CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I just replaced my "chrome" lock strip with a black one. The only difference is that the chrome one has a plastic finish and is guaranteed to look like shit in 2 years whereas the black one is EPDM and will outlive us all.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                Anyone have any experience with safelite replacing the windshield and just using a generic seal?

OP, thought about this route?
                Dear God, why?? It`s super-easy to change it yourself with the right parts
                Originally posted by LJ851
                kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                #teamross
                Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Because I really don't have a need to remove my windshield....ever. I need my windshield changed, and if safelite can do it, install a permanent seal with no leaks, then why worry about keeping it OEM? OP, how much did a new seal and ring cost you?

Just checked realoem.....not too expensive, even for a windshield? Looks like you could do the entire installation yourself
                  Last edited by BMWManiac; 05-30-2014, 03:53 AM.
                  1997 Artic Silver M3
                  CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Working...
                  X