This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing euro rear plate filler.

I wanted to get your guys advice on installing the euro rear filler.

I guess it's just a matter of drilling 4 holes for the license plate screws. But did you guys just drill the holes large enough to fit the screw in? Or did you drill them larger (about 1/2 inch) to clear the plastic nubs that the screws go into?

Also, it looks like i'll need to trim my US license plate for it to fit, it seems too tall. Did you guys trim yours?

Thanks!

I am planing on cutting the holes big enough to fit over the plastic nubs. I believe others have removed the nubs and mounted the plate from the inside of the trunk.

It is one of those mods that you wait till you are bored off your ass before you attempt it.

Thanks
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Too much trouble, get one made for US plates. Part number is listed on my website.

Comment

No hack method:
        • Get screws long enough to go through the filler and reach securely behind the metal panel in the trunk

Put license plate to filler and mark holes. Check consistency of holes to make sure you get them to pass through the factory holes.

Use desired method to make holes in filler...I used a heated old screw driver

Mount filler

Voila

This can be done several ways, I did it this way and its working so far. I bought a can of some insulator foam to use as a backing later on if I decide to put my subwoofer back in. You can use your desired material of choice.

You can also make another set of holes where the stock holes are and put an extra two screws without having them go through the license plate to mount it even more firmly.

I cut up and trimmed my front plate but it still wasn't a perfect fit... art has never been my thing and it looked really ugly. It looks better in comparison with the overhang ( to me ) When you trim the plate you will have to relocate the license plate holes so think twice before you do it.

I dislike the US plate filler since it has the "blocks" at the side making the rear of the car appear too bulky...its bascially the same as the fugly light panel filler but simply black...It doesn't do it for me even though its cheaper and can be gotten brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
          I dislike the US plate filler since it has the "blocks" at the side making the rear of the car appear too bulky...its bascially the same as the fugly light panel filler but simply black...It doesn't do it for me even though its cheaper and can be gotten brand new.
          My feelings exactly! The US one is seriously ugly.
          Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Yea, dude, the US filler is horrible. Looks like my dads Kamei "taillight-connector" piece that came on his '84 318.

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
              No hack method:

This the piece you speak of?

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BMXER
                This the piece you speak of?

now I need some :drink: to go the guy who invented those panels...if he hadn't my lunch would still be in me heh heh

Comment

lol ud be surpriseed whose car that was ;)

Sold it.

Comment

Was that Rady's car??
                    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
                      Was that Rady's car??
                      Randy Sparre, and yes I believe it is.
                      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BMXER
                        lol ud be surpriseed whose car that was ;)
                        heh heh...:borg: I only saw that car from the front and 3/4 front angle... at least he took it to a better extreme as a supercharged blue beast

Comment

Funny, how mine fits perfectly with no mods to it at all!!!

Guess it's nice to have the early lights on my car.

Comment

Indeed twas Randys

Sold it.

Comment

I paid to have mine installed :roll: I gave them instructions I got from Eric Lukas, and they installed it with everything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X