Chome vs black trim lifespan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chome vs black trim lifespan

Which one of these holds up better over time for a car that sits out in the sun a lot? If I were to install new chrome trim vs black trim, how many years would it be before the trim started to look really dull for each of these? The chrome trim on my car is dull and I've debated between continuing to polish and revive it or swapping it out for matte black trim (except for the kidney grille, which will stay chrome since that's a very distinct styling element). I personally love the look of chrome trim on a black car, but if it requires lots of upkeep to look presentable I might just go with black trim.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Once you go black...the paint will fade in 5 to 10 if left outside, and flake off in 15. The polished alum trim can be polished nigh on forever.

Comment

There are protectants for polished surfaces.
      How big trucks protect their shiny surfaces?

Comment

The aluminum trim comes clear anodize, just like the bumpers. Aside from getting a little duller than new, the "chrome" trim lasts pretty much forever. The window spline, however is a tin film covered in clear rubber. Those will yellow over time. I puy new chrome spline in my first e30 after I got it painted, and it still looked great after 7 or 8 yr when the car got totaled.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

you're probably looking at 15+ years for the black trim. Definitely not an immediate concern.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X