Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 turn signal cancellation

E30 owners ,

My turn signal cancellation doesn’t always work and need to troubleshoot.

1) when I had stock steering wheel, the turn signal cancellation never worked.

2). installed Schnitzer steering wheel. Turn signal cancellation are working

3). Removed the Schnitzer steering wheel but re-installed the same Schnitzer wheel few days later. The turn signal cancellation no longer works

3) tried mtech 1 steering wheel. Turn signal cancellation does not work

What could be the problem?

Thanks !

likely a faulty indicator stalk. there is a tiny arm that facilitates the indicators on the end of the switch. both the arm and the switch itself wear out over time. the fix is to replace the whole assembly. the switch and stalk can't be separated.

edit : if the car was originally equipped with an airbag wheel there may be other complications. you may need to add a spacer, and the stalk may need to be bent / modified.
    Last edited by 82eye; 11-02-2023, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it's an airbag car and someone didn't install the wheel correctly. The wheel isn't down far enough to trigger the turn signal cancellation. When you installed the ACS wheel the first time, it worked so if you install it the 2nd time there is no reason it shouldn't work unless you installed it incorrectly. What year is the car?
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
        likely a faulty indicator stalk. there is a tiny arm that facilitates the indicators on the end of the switch. both the arm and the switch itself wear out over time. the fix is to replace the whole assembly. the switch and stalk can't be separated.

edit : if the car was originally equipped with an airbag wheel there may be other complications. you may need to add a spacer, and the stalk may need to be bent / modified.

Yes, it is a 1992 convertible airbag equipped car

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          Sounds like it's an airbag car and someone didn't install the wheel correctly. The wheel isn't down far enough to trigger the turn signal cancellation. When you installed the ACS wheel the first time, it worked so if you install it the 2nd time there is no reason it shouldn't work unless you installed it incorrectly. What year is the car?
          Ok. That makes sense!

It’s a 1992 e30 convertible with airbag steering wheel.

I did notice there was an spacer which is removable
          I can try removing this spacer and mount the steering
          wheel again. If I am not mistaken, that spacer was there when the oem airbag steering wheel was on the car.

thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

Update

removed the spacer. Installed the ACS wheel and the turn signal cancellation works correctly

new issue
            no matter how much I tighten the steering wheel but, I do notice a slight wobble in the steering wheel. This occurs when I’m gripping the wheel not moving or driving yet

What could I use to fix this ?
            a stack of washers.
            Ideally if I had a spacer half the width of the one I removed

thanks to everyone!

Comment

Ok answered my question

There is a bmw spacer specifically for non airbag steering wheels

looks like this part will solve my issues

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, you need a spacer (or stack of washers) in front of the wheel to fill in the gap so that nut can hold the wheel down. The wheel will sit closer to the stalks now. if it's an issue for you, you can bend them back slightly. Also, make sure the white plastic peg has been removed and air bag sensor disconnected so you don't get the check light.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                X