Repairing dash cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing dash cracks

Has anyone tried to plastic weld their dash crack with any success? I found an old thread about it but the results of the repair never posted. I imagine it would be difficult getting it to look smooth and unnoticeable.
    sigpic

there is a thread where someone repaired their dash on here or e30tech, forget which.

Comment

That would be me. ;)

Then this guy tried this a few weeks after me.

Comment

I have only a few cracks on mine and used some black ATV silicone and it looks much better. I think it would be just fine using regular black silicone, but I had some sealant laying around so I thought I would give it a try. I can post pics if you like...
        sigpic
        Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Instagram @squatchboxxcoolers

Comment

Greg, I bought a dash this week. It has a few imperfections that need to be corrected... What brand of silicon did you use?
          I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I used some black RTV gasket maker I had laying around. Worked ok, but I really didn't try and force it down into the crack so after it dried it sunk down a bit. If I were to do again, i would mask off around it and press it into the crack. I think the RTV had a slight metallic look to it when I put it on, but dried up black for the most part. I will need to pull my old dash down to inspect more closely and take a picture to post up.
            sigpic
            Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Originally posted by firemanory View Post
              I used some black RTV gasket maker I had laying around. Worked ok, but I really didn't try and force it down into the crack so after it dried it sunk down a bit. If I were to do again, i would mask off around it and press it into the crack. I think the RTV had a slight metallic look to it when I put it on, but dried up black for the most part. I will need to pull my old dash down to inspect more closely and take a picture to post up.

Any more info on this?

I want to take care of a small (about 1" long) crack that has just started near the corner of the passenger's "tray" thing. I'd like to fill it without having to sand and repaint the whole dash....

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                Any more info on this?

I want to take care of a small (about 1" long) crack that has just started near the corner of the passenger's "tray" thing. I'd like to fill it without having to sand and repaint the whole dash....
                Give it a whirl. There really is no risk. I would use some sort or vinyl protectant like Griots vinyl and plastic protectant or Armor all around the crack but not in it so that any excess will come right off. Fill it in a couple of sessions so that each layer has time to cure properly. Use a nozzle that comes with it (if it does) so you can squirt it down as far as you can into the crack. I might also drill out the end of each crack to help prevent it from spreading any further.

Lastly, use a windshield cover to spare your dash from heat and UV rays. They are the enemy for any plastic.

Good luck.
                sigpic
                Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Originally posted by firemanory View Post
                  I have only a few cracks on mine and used some black ATV silicone and it looks much better. I think it would be just fine using regular black silicone, but I had some sealant laying around so I thought I would give it a try. I can post pics if you like...
                  I'd like pics
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Anyone used an actual dash repair kit from eastwood?

Ii figure $40 and I can repair my cracks and sell the leftover if anyone would be interested.

I am gonna order it tonight, probably give it a go next week

Comment

I used black silicon calking from the hardware store. Even with masking the crack there was still some over bleed since I used a putty knife to really fill in the crack and crape off excess before the silicone dried. After it dried the silicone shrank a bit so I will have to go in and add another layer. Overall I like the look better than the cracks but you can still see there was a crack there. My next move would be to totally replace with a new dash. Anyone know a source of an after market dash for a 1990 325i?

thanks

Comment

What about a Coverlay dash cap?
                        1990 Alpine 325iC.

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=245623

Comment

Working...
                          X