Plaid interior thoughts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plaid interior thoughts....

Ok, i have about 80 hours invested in this seat, i have the material to finish the entire interior, but im not sure on the Plaid.
    i will be recovering everything, seats, door cards with plaid inserts, shift and e-brake boot, and possibly some other small areas.
    The other option is to recover the entire interior in tan leather.
    It will be going in a briliantrot 90' 325IS.
    all comments welcome...
    Thanks

(on to the good stuff)

Proud Owner and Operator.
    sigpic

was this all done by hand?

the workmanship looks about average, not bad, but also not up to OEM.

the pattern of plaid by itself looks like curtains in a nursing home, and the little buttons only make it worse, you've kind of made sport seats look like a la-z-boy.
    8380 Laboratories
    M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Maybe if my sister had an e30 or somethin'

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Scrap it and go tan leather. The color is terrible.

If you're not going to use piping on the seams, do a French seam.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

this is my first attempt at sewing anything bigger than a shift boot, i was thinking of french seams, but i don't trust my self running a straight stitch that long. oh and im using a regular sewing machine with a heavy duty needle and an upholstery grade thread.
          i might try all tan on the other seat, but if i go with that im going to have to get a whole lot of real leather...
          sigpic

Comment

uhm...why the buttons?
            take those off and i'd say its "ok".
            try a less gay plaid.

Comment

You can get vinyl, or "leatherette" if you speak Porsche, pretty cheap.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

is this a joke? that looks like grandma's lazyboy
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                ---------------------------------
                89 E30 S52
                ---------------------------------
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

The buttons ruin it.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

just so you know that insert material is not auto grade and will break down and fade insanely fast. I wouldnt give it a year.

Also try getting a steamer to help get some of those wrinkles out. I would also adjust your pattern. Remember to add/subtract a seam allowance.
                    ----- www.jjcustominterior.com -----
                    We specialize in Recaro restoration!

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                      If you're not going to use piping on the seams, do a French seam.
                      Exactly what I thought.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I thought I would have gotten a more 50/50 split, but this helps more, I'm going to finish the passenger seat, do the doors in straight tan, then save up some cash for some nice real leather...
                        Thanks again for all the quick comments, and any advice on materials, or maybe some color combos would be very helpful.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think its cool! Could have had used a better looking color but I still like it.

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
                            Thanks for the comments, I thought I would have gotten a more 50/50 split, but this helps more, I'm going to finish the passenger seat, do the doors in straight tan, then save up some cash for some nice real leather...
                            Thanks again for all the quick comments, and any advice on materials, or maybe some color combos would be very helpful.
                            I can tell you right now that your machine will die if you try to use it on leather. You will need an industrial machine.

Why would you want to do real leather anyway, do you have any idea how expensive it is? You can get a high end synthetic with the same if not higher rub rating then entry level leather for about 1/4th the cost.

And honestly if you dont fix your pattern you are going to be wasting a lot of money on leather.
                            ----- www.jjcustominterior.com -----
                            We specialize in Recaro restoration!

Comment

I wouldn't rock it myself, but it's different so I like it.
                              -Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X